LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Video Card replacement for Nvidia GeForce go 6800

tortoise1810

Hi, is there anyway I can upgrade my Geforce go 6800 256mb video card to a newly released Geforce go 7900 GTX 512mb?

My laptop's model is Gateway NX850XL, or M680.

specification: PM 2.13/1G/100G/17'SXGA+/NV 6800

Thanx a lot!

Edited by tortoise1810

Hi, is there anyway I can upgrade my Geforce go 6800 256mb video card to a newly released Geforce go 7900 GTX 512mb?

My laptop's model is Gateway NX850XL, or M680.

specification: PM 2.13/1G/100G/17'SXGA+/NV 6800

Thanx a lot!

Hi there,

The only Gateway that I know off that is MXM is the mx8525/mx8523. I'm not sure about yours.

However, if you should ever decide to pop the hood and confirm it to be MXM, it will most likely be MXM Type III. That means that in the near future you should be able to upgrade to a 7800 and perhaps 7900.

Hope this helps,

Ice-Tea

Thank you so much!

I just downloaded Nerd V1.071 and tested my video card and it showed that my video card didn't support MXM, so my video card definitely have no MXM Compatibility, right?

Thank you so much!

I just downloaded Nerd V1.071 and tested my video card and it showed that my video card didn't support MXM, so my video card definitely have no MXM Compatibility, right?

No, not at all. There are two mechanisms to confirm MXM capability. NERD only checks one and has been shown to work next to never. The other mechanism is a bit difficult. So, it does not provide a definite answer :/

No, not at all. There are two mechanisms to confirm MXM capability. NERD only checks one and has been shown to work next to never. The other mechanism is a bit difficult. So, it does not provide a definite answer :/

http://www.notebookreview.com/assets/7153.jpg

I just found a picture which shows the inner side view of my notebook. Are you able to figure out how the video card part looks like?

It looks like a MXM card Type III :)

TY so much!

:) Locks like mine. x700 in Gateway 8510gz (retale 850 from Best Bye) Talked to some Alien teck today he sade maby 7800 or 7900 butt not gtx too thick.If you have any luck post pleas, pictures of your card would help me . :) :P :( :( Alien dont sell card unless you are a customer off there laptops

It actually looks 100% like a picture of a MX-8523 someone else send me.

If all goes well, I am going to ship a 6800 to him this week for evaluation. I'll keep you guys posted :)

:) Talked to Gateway today about uppgrade :) no go.Im pritty sure its MXM on the x700 in mine.Axiom has conection on bottom?Gateway sugested a new laptop :P :( after 6months!!!

Edited by ®®®

:) Talked to Gateway today about uppgrade :) no go.Im pritty sure its MXM on the x700 in mine.Axiom has conection on bottom?Gateway sugested a new laptop :P :( after 6months!!!

TY for sharing news!

• 1 month later...

Yeah, I have an Nx850xl as well and bought a MXM -III 7800 go to replace the 6800. It was from an nx860xl. The computer won't boot. I think these cards can't be replaced with anything other than themselves.

Yeah, I have an Nx850xl as well and bought a MXM -III 7800 go to replace the 6800. It was from an nx860xl. The computer won't boot. I think these cards can't be replaced with anything other than themselves.

I have a user that is trying the same thing. Seems like Quanta does some crazy stuff with their cards. This story will continue :)

Guest Ben (Bought a 7800 from MXM-upgr

I am not related to Guest_ben who wrote previously.

I contacted Phoenix systems who makes the BIOS for the NX series and they said i had the most upgraded version and they couldn't help. I wrote to Gateway to see if they could do anything and from what it appears, the graphics manufacturers made each card specific to each system. So, the whole MXM interface is useless on Brand name computers. What a waste.

Here's what I have gleaned about swapping MXM cards in the gateway Nx850xl.

The Vbios is the reason the cards do not work on other machines. According to http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_13291.html each laptop receives instructions direct from the VBIOS to determine if it will work or not. The only way I see to bypass this is to Flash a new Vbios over the old one. The problem is compunded by the fact that you cannot boot to flash on said laptop with the new card. It seems that you'd have to take a Gateway or whatever with a go 7800 and flash it with a 6800's vbios thus tricking the card into thinking it's a 6800 and telling the computer that it will work. The problem is that it may act weird as a 7800 in a 6800's clothes. I am just so frustrated with this whole mess. Who the hell makes a modular graphics card that can only be replaced by iteself?

Another idea may be to find someone who is good at modding Vbios' data. Easier said than done right?

Edited by ®®®