LaptopVideo2Go Forums

GeForce go 7400 transformed into intel945 GM!

Guest Keben

Guest Keben

Hi there

If you are fond of strange story...here is a good one (from my point of view of course)

I bought a Sony Vaio VGN-SZ1M/B with a Nvidia Geforce 7400 and XP familly.

When receiving it i changed the os for an XP pro and installed it with drivers provided by sony website.

After some day of use i witness some issue with the card and downloaded the bios upgrade from their website.

When trying to launch it from windows xp pro...a message came : unable to read system info.

so far nothing weirD....

After rebooting my video card was kind of reseted and i was unable to reinstall it with nvidia driver...os recognise it as a Intel945!!

Calling sony support ihave been told...we only support machine with system preloaded (i thought i bought a machine not the couple sonysoft!!) we can't do anything for you..sorry

Checking my bios i saw the video bios version is NOICG_12...my feeling is that somehow the video bios has been changed to the one of the intel graphic card...so here is my question:

Does anybody know what is the bios version of the Nvidia Geforce go 7400 as i feel it's the reason why i can't re-install the correct driver and my card is now detected as an intel...but may be i am wrong

Guest No more soucy!!

MY problem is solved!!! the vaio VGN-SZ1 has two graphic board...and you can switch between two by pressing a simple button....but why sony support didn't tell?

end of that story

Hi there

If you are fond of strange story...here is a good one (from my point of view of course)

I bought a Sony Vaio VGN-SZ1M/B with a Nvidia Geforce 7400 and XP familly.

When receiving it i changed the os for an XP pro and installed it with drivers provided by sony website.

After some day of use i witness some issue with the card and downloaded the bios upgrade from their website.

When trying to launch it from windows xp pro...a message came : unable to read system info.

so far nothing weirD....

After rebooting my video card was kind of reseted and i was unable to reinstall it with nvidia driver...os recognise it as a Intel945!!

Calling sony support ihave been told...we only support machine with system preloaded (i thought i bought a machine not the couple sonysoft!!) we can't do anything for you..sorry

Checking my bios i saw the video bios version is NOICG_12...my feeling is that somehow the video bios has been changed to the one of the intel graphic card...so here is my question:

Does anybody know what is the bios version of the Nvidia Geforce go 7400 as i feel it's the reason why i can't re-install the correct driver and my card is now detected as an intel...but may be i am wrong

MY problem is solved!!! the vaio VGN-SZ1 has two graphic board...and you can switch between two by pressing a simple button....but why sony support didn't tell?

I imagine the average joe bragging about his shiny new laptop in graphic impaired mode. It's like people that have a full HDTV at home with HDTV feed and still watch TV in SD. :)

but why sony support didn't tell?

end of that story

Good summary there :)

They really are that bad, end of story im afraid.

I was going to tell you that but nice you found out yourself. (your not the only one that has had this problem)

Pretty sad they don't know the motherboard has built in graphics. (they get them that way, think its part of the standard intel chipset stuff, graphics board is add on)

I bet Dell support in India could even tell me that, I should find a dell pc with 2 graphics chips (intel and nvidia) and call them up pretending I have one to see what they say.

Even the sony reps in the US couldn't sell me the correct replacement screw for a standard camcorder accessory, 3 times! (So far I have given up, its either call up again and get screwed over for the wrong part, or buy the $200 accessory again)

Guest Guest

at the begining of my story i opened up a ticket on sony website e_support.....the following is the log...first my open ticket....then the post of the so called supporter....just after my call he closed the ticket...i re opened it for the last comment...enjoy :)

*** NOTES 09-May-2006 Action Type: Info

1. Service Pack installé: WindowsXP Pro SP2

Service Pack toujours utilisé: no

2. Boot language: English

3. Description détaillée du problème: Suite au téléchargement du logiciel de mise a jour du bios pour mon ordinateur portable et son exécution (message d'erreur : impossible de lire les informations systèmes)la carte graphique n'est plus reconnue comme etant une nvidia.

4. Vérifié pour mises à jour ou correctifs: yes

5. Logiciel additionnel: none

6. Matériel additionnel: none

7. Mémoire vive (RAM) supplémentaire: yes

8. Remarques supplémentaires: none

Phone Log 10-May-2006 Jonathan

*** PHONE LOG 10-May-2006 Action Type: Incoming call

Mr Savy called relating to his BIOS issue.

He said he tried to upgrade the BIOS with the update on our Web site.

He said he could install it and has an error message "Impossible to resd System information".

He said now the graphics card is recognized as Intel and not as nVidia.

Adv if he changed the OS ---> Yes.

Adv so no support if OS had been changed.

He wasn't OK with that and said he will check his Sales Department.

Gave Case ID.

Case Close 10-May-2006 Jonathan

*** CASE CLOSE 10-May-2006

Reopen 10-May-2006 Ronan Savy

*** STATUS CHANGE 10-May-2006

Notes 10-May-2006 Ronan Savy

*** NOTES 10-May-2006 Action Type: Info

A simple post on a user forum gave me the hint i needed : the sony vaio VGN-SZ1M/B has two video board an intel and nvidia. You can switch from one to the other by simply pressing the button stamina or speed.

Quite a simple solution to provide...just need to know the product you are suppose to support....

Guest Guest

dernière réponse du support de chez sony.....the story continue.... :)

*** NOTES 16-May-2006 Action Type: Info

Monsieur,

Merci d`avoir fait appel a nos services et croyez que nous sommes heureux que vous ayez pu trouver vous-même la solution a votre problème.

Nous connaissons les produits que nous supportons mais uniquement dans la configuration auxquels nous les vendons.

Veuillez comprendre que si nous devions connaître tous les trucs et astuces ainsi que les problèmes que vous pouvez rencontrer avec tous les systèmes d`exploitation présent sur le marché notre tache deviendrait vite impossible.

Ces pour ces raisons que la politique Sony est de n`aider les clients qu`avec la configuration d`origine de leur Vaio.

Pour votre information il n`y a qu`une seule carte graphique sur votre Vaio une puce nVidia GeForce Go 7400.

Mais vous avez un processeur Intel ce qui explique que vous pouvez voir plusieurs entrées graphiques dans le gestionnaire de périphérique selon le type de sortie video sur la carte.

Pour plus d`information : www.vaio-link.com

Sincères salutations,

dernière réponse du support de chez sony.....the story continue.... :)

*** NOTES 16-May-2006 Action Type: Info

Monsieur,

Merci d`avoir fait appel a nos services et croyez que nous sommes heureux que vous ayez pu trouver vous-même la solution a votre problème.

Nous connaissons les produits que nous supportons mais uniquement dans la configuration auxquels nous les vendons.

Veuillez comprendre que si nous devions connaître tous les trucs et astuces ainsi que les problèmes que vous pouvez rencontrer avec tous les systèmes d`exploitation présent sur le marché notre tache deviendrait vite impossible.

Ces pour ces raisons que la politique Sony est de n`aider les clients qu`avec la configuration d`origine de leur Vaio.

Pour votre information il n`y a qu`une seule carte graphique sur votre Vaio une puce nVidia GeForce Go 7400.

Mais vous avez un processeur Intel ce qui explique que vous pouvez voir plusieurs entrées graphiques dans le gestionnaire de périphérique selon le type de sortie video sur la carte.

Pour plus d`information : www.vaio-link.com

Sincères salutations,

That's just major bulls***. AFAIK, you can boot these notebooks on either integrated or dedicated graphics in order to preserve power. It's in the notebook, it was meant to be there and hence they should support you.

He's right about one thing, there's only one board in the machine, the other GPU is part of the northbridge.