LaptopVideo2Go Forums

synpatics TPAD

g82yr

Hello Ive been reading your forum for months now, you guys really know your stuff

The problem Im haveing is intermittent and am not sure if it is hardware related or software

the lcd touchpad on my toshiba 5200 keeps turning on and off while I am useing it and then eventually turns off and stays off

I have xppro with sp2 and all the latest software thanks laptopvideo

this problem carries thru to my usb port when I plug in an optical mouse on the single usb port on the right of the computer it also turns on and off while I am useing it

On the left of the computer there are two usb ports the one towards the back of the computer does nothing

when I plug in the optical mouse(no lights no errors nothing) this is named NEC PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller (B1)

The usb port beside it will give me three flashes on the optical mouse and then go off and give me an error (one of the usb devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and windows does not recognize it) this one is named NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller.

Ive noticed that my TouchPad and one usb port are on the same function (PCI bus 2, device 6, function 0)

not sure if this means anything but this problem definately has something to do with my usb's

the driver I am using for the usb's are 5.1.2600.1106

any help would be appreciated

thank you

g82yr

/me shouts SNOWWWWWWWL :)

This doesn't sound like a cPad problem as much as a USB problem, maybe a loose connection or somehting?

I agree totally (not a cpad problem)

but it is connected to usb so i checked anything I could think of included takeing it apart and putting it back together , changeing the usb board on the right and i still get same prob. The other usb is soldered right on the main board.

For some reason I think its software related but i dont know what else to try

:)

:) g82yr :P

Did someone call me? I thought I heard something over Europe.

g82yr, could you check device drivers when it turns itself off? I wonder if there is Synaptic cPad driver under Mice and Other Pointing Devices part when it is turned off. Also do you hear Windows usb unplug sound? Did you try using it for a while in Safe Mode?

Did someone call me? I thought I heard something over Europe.

g82yr, could you check device drivers when it turns itself off? I wonder if there is Synaptic cPad driver under Mice and Other Pointing Devices part when it is turned off. Also do you hear Windows usb unplug sound? Did you try using it for a while in Safe Mode?

Wow its like an honor to have you help me

Yes Synaptic cPad driver is still under Mice and still under Human interface devices so what ive done with keyboard is uninstall under Human interface devices and then scan for hardware changes and it usually comes back on and maybe one out of ten times when it tries to reload it will give an error saying this usb device may not work properly and then I have to reboot

No I do not hear usb unplug sound, light and pictuce start to go off and then back on but if I keep trying to move the mouse on the cpad while it does this that when i will usually lose it , if I take my finger off while it does this it will usually come back on.

I will try safe mode and see if it happens .

thanks

g82yr

Sounds like a hardware problem to me. If no one else has a better idea, I say try your chances with a clean install.

after my mouse turned off I used the keyboard and deleted the human interface device synpatics usb hid device and then scanned for hardware changes and it found intel 82801 smbus controller and my synpatics cpad.

Could the 82801 be the reason i keep losing my usb functions and if so can they be changed?

thanks

g82yr

You're correct that the USB ports (3 of them) are connected together with Touchpad (cPad) to PCI bus.

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/content/support...655/ch1.htm#1.2

As cPad and SubLCD are connected on the same line (through sDCard board) to mainboard, the question would be if SubLCD is acting correct

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/content/support...55/ch2.htm#2.14

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/content/support...55/ch2.htm#2.15

For the records: 82801 smbus controller should be hidden and not active in device manager and also should be untouched. It's kind of a dummy install of the chipset driver.

I once tried to update driver for it and it resulted in weird behaviour of laptop.

I try to attach a pic of the mainboard layout.

SD Card Boards are available (rare :) ) at EBAY. I try to figure the search keywords for you.

Did you by chance opened the Laptop and fiddled around or stuff? Maybe you have loosened the connection cable?

WOW

you have provided me some very helpful info with these diagrams, I just wish I had the testing devices for this

Yes I have had this laptop apart acouple of times but only because of this problem

I have now purchaced a complete replica 5200 with all parts included (not reading hard drive) so I just need to figure out where the sd card board (FHGTY) is and how to change it.

That picture of the mainboard showing the sd card board would have been nice.

thanks

g82yr