LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Screen Flicker with Geforce GO 6200

RBA

Hello All,

I have recently tried to update my video driver for a Geforce GO 6200 video card.

Before I was using forceware 7.3.3.0 (I believe).

I wanted to update the video card drivers because some games made the laptop reset.

At the NVidia website I noticed that there was an updated driver version (8.4.2.1).

The driver did not install. But then I found this site, which explained my why it didn't.

I downloaded the INF file that should be used with the 8.4.2.1 drivers and started installation (after uninstalling the previous driver ofcourse).

At first I was very happy because my games did not make the laptop reset anymore.

However, now the screen is flickering slightly.

This is very anoying. I hope that someone can help me with this.

The bios version of the graphic card is 5.44.02.30.03.

I don't know the bios date.

I have a Asus Z92K-B020H laptop which operates under Windows XP Home Edition SP2.

I hope that someone can help me. If you need more information, please ask and I will try to answer.

Greetz,

Ruben

Define your flickering... does it look like an interference between the screen and the light bulbs. (unlikely on a LCD) or from time to time you feel like the intensity of the light changes?

It's probably the second case... I had that a lot with the 84.25 + modded INF. It only occured when launching a 3D game or a video.

I switched back to the latest Dell driver for my gear and I get much less flickers now... it's really really rare in fact.

It looks like the intensity of the light changes.

Unlike with your case, I experience it under normal Windows operation.

Edited by RBA

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed that this site has versions which are higher than on the NVidia site.

I assume those are unreleased driver versions. Might it help if I go to a higher version?

If yes, which version would you guys recommend for a Geforce Go 6200?

Edited by RBA

I have updated to the 84.25 driver version. It seems to reduce the flickering slightly.

However the problem is not entirely gone. But this confirms my thought that this is a driver issue and not a hardware issue.

Is it related to launching a video, a 3D app??? I get a slight brightness change when I launch a video, or an app that change the GPU frequency. (3D game, Rivatuner changing clocks...)

With Dell official driver it's a slight brightness change... with 84.25 it's much stronger.

Guest Guest
I noticed that this site has versions which are higher than on the NVidia site.

I assume those are unreleased driver versions. Might it help if I go to a higher version?

If yes, which version would you guys recommend for a Geforce Go 6200?

i recommend v82.12 for 6200 because it is more stable and there is no problem with powermizer like 83.xx,84.xx and also no stand by problem such as 84.xx. i have packard bell with gforce 6200(manufactured by nec - bios 5.44.02.31.AA)

Is it related to launching a video, a 3D app??? I get a slight brightness change when I launch a video, or an app that change the GPU frequency. (3D game, Rivatuner changing clocks...)

With Dell official driver it's a slight brightness change... with 84.25 it's much stronger.

If only that was the case, I would be more at ease.

The flickering is even present when the laptop is not doing anything in particular besides showing a desktop.

By the way, the flickering is only present on the LCD screen of the laptop. The secondary screen (clone mode) does not show a flicker. So maybe it has something to do with refresh rate or interferrence? :)

But since my update to 84.25 the flickering has reduced remarkably. But still enough to irritate me :)

Maybe I will try the 82.12 advice out, just to see what happens.

The refresh rate on LCDs is usually fixed, so I don't think that's the problem. The change in brightness Fabrice Roux is seeing is probably due to a difference in brightness settings between Overlay mode and normal mode, so I don't think that's your problem either. If if's flickering while just sitting there, I would suspect a faulty backlight on your LCD.

One test... that is not that stupid... download a Live linux distribution such as Ubuntu Live. It will allow you to boot your system use your computer with full LCD resolution. Then if you get flickering it will smell like a hardware issue.