LaptopVideo2Go Forums

TOSHiBA 5100, 5105, 5200, 5205, DYNABOOK G7 & G8, Driver/Software/Utility recommendations

®®®

for new one go here:

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=6567

UPDATES

* 16-FEB-2006: updated Bluetooth Stack, Bluetooth Monitor and ConfigFree information, fixed oversized titles.

* 09-SEP-2005: updated THIS post for USB Standby wakeup issues @ 5205-S705

* 19-JUL-2005: updated Bluetooth Stack information, updated cPax (v1.5) links

* 15-JUL-2005: added hint how to get Standby-Modus to work when Toshiba Mobile Extension is installed

( :( Ein bischen spaet, aber ich moechte hiermit ein hervorragendes und DAS informativste deutsche Toshiba (5200 series) Notebook Forum Guternet.de empfehlen. Ein nahezu unerschoepflicher Fundus von allem, was mit der 5200er Serie zu tun hat :( )

The following post will give you complete information concerning the different TOSHiBA software versions, their usefullness and any driver updates you can apply. Over the past months this thread developed truly to a full-blown resource for the TOSHiBA 5x00 series.

You might call it the "Nofficial TOSHiBA 5x00 Support Thread".

I just call it "Driver/Software/Utility Recommendations".

SHORT INTRODUCTION

A fresh install of Windows XP with (slipstreamed) SP2 results in a nearly complete recognition of all devices! The only devices which needs to be installed manually is the modem and 3 unknown "Toshiba Logical Devices" (use Toshiba ACPI Common Module software package). Nevertheless you are able to update the XP default drivers to more up-to-date versions.

And i even recommend installing some of the usefull(!) TOSHiBA software :P

As you may know TOSHiBA, as Laptop-only manufacturer, is great in releasing unique Laptop specific tools and they are constantly updating these. Best example is TOSHiBA's Virtual Sound.

MUST HAVE TOSHiBA SYSTEM SOFTWARE

(after a fresh install of XPSP2)

• latest BIOS update: v1.50 | 11-JAN-2005, download HERE
    latest BIOS update for European 5200 models: HERE
  • Toshiba ACPI Common Modules (for the 3 unknown devices in the device manager)
  • Toshiba Power Saver (without it you would need to set the LCD brightness always from 75% to 100%, and as we all know the brightness of our CASV Display is the best feature of the 5205)
  • Toshiba Controls (SubLCD, Remote Control and special buttons settings), use the version which TOSHiBA provided for your model, don't update these
  • AGERE WLAN MiniPCI card fix HERE
  • Found by hazart: TOSHiBA Virtual Sound, which is an audio filter using SRS WOW XT and SRS TruSurround XT functions provided by SRS Labs. Top of the notch technology & truly great sound output enhancement usable with every Toshiba Laptop and every MediaPlayer !

MUST HAVE NON-TOSHIBA SOFTWARE

• RemoteX developed by Gennady (SubLCD buttons & Remote Control enhancement tool)
  • cPax developed by sn0wl, a cPad application replacement tool (turn backlight on/off, Clock, Background Image etc.)
  • On request of Josh: Buzzard's Toshiba Fan On/Off tool (you need to pay a very small amount of money for continuous usage)
  • On request of me: SpeedFan (it cannot handle perfectly the FAN, but has other correct working & usefull features like CPU, Mainboard, HD, ACPI temperature, S.M.A.R.T. readout etc.)

IMPORTANT DRIVER/SOFTWARE UPDATES

Toshiba ACPI Common Modules

• The first software you need to install
  • I recommend you use the original one that is provided for your Laptop model (see Toshiba Support site and select your model)
  • versions i found:
    v5.03.00 original one
    v6.00.05 ToshibaAsia
    v6.01.00
    v6.01.02
    v6.01.05
    v6.02.00 i always had the impression that after installing this one , i had unexplainable Explorer resets
  • *NEW* v6.02.02 Download untested yet

SMC FastIR driver

• v5.1.24xx (original XPSP2 SMC driver is *OLD*)
    updated driver HERE

Toshiba WLAN card

• v7.6x.x.xxx (Original XPSP2 driver)
  • updated driver, firmware and Client Manager HERE
  • There is a Standby issue in XP and XPSP1, but also on a clean install of XPSP2. To fix it (registry fix), go to HERE
  • Alternatively to the XP Wireless Lan Control Panel, you can install the generic Wireless Lan Client Manager v3.30 from AGERE, which provides more features than the build-in XP one.

Intel PRO100/VE driver

• v5.41.22 (Original XPSP2 driver)
  • updated driver HERE

Synaptics TouchPad driver, cPax and cPad Application

• *NOTE* read the cPax thread for the cPad enhancement tool developed by 'sn0wl'
  • cPad application:
    v2.0.0 RC1 Original cPad application for 5205-S703
    updated cPad application and more info HERE
  • Synaptics driver:
    v6.7.6 Original Synaptics cPad driver for 5205-S703/4
    updated drivers HERE

Yamaha Sound Driver

[*] :thumbsup: a bit difficult to explain:

- some have not all options in the YAMAHA control panel available

- also the driver versions are confusing

[*]NOTE: use TOSHiBA Virtual Sound for even better sound output

[*]versions of the Yamaha driver:

v6.13.10.2152 original version for Toshiba 5205-S703/4, released from TOSHiBA, WindowsUpdate & YAMAHA (all internally different, if i remember correct)

v6.13.10.3152

v6.13.10.3154

updated driver HERE

USEFULL(!) or NEEDED TOSHiBA APPLICATIONS

Toshiba Power Saver Utility

• the new 7.xx version has a much nicer GUI, but a tiny brightness bug when used in battery mode
  • If anybody has more PowerSaving profiles for that, pls. post them as .REG file, so anybody can import them. I had one for MP3 playback for example in a car or when sitting in a park, play time was ~3 hours before battery was empty :)
    You could tweak even more battery live, if you turn off devices in DeviceManager or turn on PowerSaving feature on certain devices (SoundCard YAMAHA ControlPanel, Intel Network card etc. etc.). Just have a look in the Device Manager and you will see...
  • versions i found and tested:
    v6.00.06
    v6.01.03
    v7.03.01
    v7.03.04
    updated version HERE

Toshiba Assist (Toshiba Console)

• UPDATE MAR-2005 Go HERE for updating, more information about modding and replacing Toshiba Console with Toshiba Assist.
  • shows you shortcut icons to Toshiba System software installed for your Laptop or any other Software when you mod it
  • model independant, means you can always install the most up2date version
  • a more recent version of Toshiba Assist/Console has more applications listed, also more icons in a row.
  • All your Laptop-important-software can be listed as icons (needs modding). You can merge a .REG file to have all known Toshiba system applications (if they are installed) listed in Toshiba Assist window. Beware: there are sometimes path errors in the TS versions, which results that not all your application icons are shown
  • versions:
    v3.00.02-RC (original one)
    v3.04.00 etc.

Toshiba Utilities (Hardware Setup Control Panel)

• DON'T UPDATE your original version as you would run into problems!
  • v3.02.10 (original one for the 5205-s703/4)
  • [VERSION]
    Version=4.02.09
    [MALL]
    General=1
    Setup=1
    Memory=1
    HDD=1
    Serial=0
    Serial Port=0
    Serial Node Name1=PNP0501
    Infrared Port=0
    Infrared Node Name1=SMCF010 // changes with each Laptop model
    Modem Port=0
    Password=1
    User Password=1
    Eject Password=0
    Owner String=1
    Device Config=1
    Device Configuration=1
    Parallel/Printer=1
    Parallel Port=0
    Parallel Node Name1=PNP0401
    Parallel Node Name2=PNP0400
    Printer Port Type=1
    DMA Channel=0
    Boot Priority=1
    Boot Priority Options=1
    Boot Priority Type=1
    HDD Priority Options=1
    Power On Boot Select=1
    LAN Priority=1
    Remote Boot Protocol=1
    Keyboard=1
    External Keyboard Fn Key=1
    Keyboard S3 Return=1
    USB=1
    USB KB/Mouse Legacy Emulation=1
    USB-FDD Emulation=1
    Internal FDC Mode=1 // important for USB Flash/Key/Memory Drives , but doesn't work; needs to be updated by TOSHiBA
    PC Card=0
    PC Card Controller Mode=0
    Pointing Devices=1
    Pointing Devices Options=1
    Display=1
    LCD Display Stretch=0
    Multi Display Adapter=5
    VGA Segment Address=0
    Power On Display=1
    TV=0
    Type=0
    CPU=1
    CPU Cache Options=0
    Write Policy=0
    L2 Cache Options=0
    Processor Serial Number=10
    Dynamic CPU Frequency Mode=1
    LAN=1
    Wake-up on LAN=11
    Internal LAN=11
    Alarm=1
    Alarm Volume=1
    System Beep=1
    Low Battery Alarm=1
    Panel Close Alarm=1
    Internal Modem Bus Number1=0
    Internal Modem Device Number1=7
    Internal Modem Function Number1=0
    Internal Modem Device ID1=1089
    Internal Modem Vender ID1=4545
    Internal Modem Bus Number2=0
    Internal Modem Device Number2=2
    Internal Modem Function Number2=0
    Internal Modem Device ID2=1089
    Internal Modem Vender ID2=4545
    ...other versions of Hardware Setup have more settings added here, like:
    Button Setting=1
    PowerButton Lamp=1
    Sound Logo=1
    Start Up Logo=1
    PowerButton DisCls=1
    HT Technology Mode=1

Toshiba Controls (SubLCD, Remote Control and special buttons settings)

[*]DON'T UPDATE your orignal version or you will run into problems!

[*]see also RemoteX thread for deeper information and to download this unique tool

[*]versions i tested:

v2.02.0001 original version for Toshiba 5205-S703/4

v2.05.0501 (Remote Control setting is missing)

v3.01.0601 (i think this works, but actually forgot)

v3.05.0902 some other settings are missing, i forgot which ones.

Toshiba Display Hotkey Utility FN.F5

• currently i don't have that installed as nVIDIA driver is handling everything
  • pingu2k: "Be carefull when you are going to update tiny tools like "Toshiba Display Hotkey Utility FN.F5". There are no enhancements in usage or stability. The mentioned tool won't change between the internal and CRT monitor, but it does to and from the TV screen. ...Strange... Stay with your original version unless you experience probs."
  • versions:
    v2.4.1.0 original version for Toshiba 5205-S703/4
    v2.5.0.0
    v2.6.0.0-00

Toshiba Wireless Hotkey Utility FN.F8

• currently i don't have that installed as XPSP2 handles all WiFi related stuff
  • also i think it's only usable and usefull if you have the optional BlueTooth card installed (did not came with mine), then with the FN+F8 combination it's meant to be switchable between the two (WiFi and BT)
  • versions:
    v2.0.0.3 (Original version that came with mine)
    v2.0.0.5

Toshiba TouchPad On/Off Utility FN.F9

• don't need that -> dont' have it installed
  • on the other side, people who are not used to the cPad location easily 'touch it' accidentically and get frustated when the cursor moves, in that case install it and turn the Touchpad temporarely off :P
  • see also the new cPad tool thread LINK
  • versions:
    v2.03.00 original version for Toshiba 5205-S703/4
    v??????? (don't know what the most current version is)

Toshiba Bluetooth Stack (Bluetooth software + drivers)

• Thanks to sn0wl for the following information:
    - Latest version is way better than the original supplied ones.
    - The original supplied ones with mine (was version 2.x I guess) were lacking many profiles. New version has new profiles over the old one like LAN, Headset, Imaging (for cameras) and some bugfixes. I'm not sure if SP2 Stack features all current profiles that Toshiba Bluetooth Stack has.
    Toshiba Bluetooth Stack for Windows XP/2000
    Version: 4.00.30
    Size: 27 MB
    Posted: -
    Download Here
    Toshiba Bluetooth Monitor for MS Stack for Windows XP
    - Bluetooth Monitor lets you use XP SP2 Bluetooth stack instead of Toshiba Bluetooth Stack.
    Version: 2.12.00
    Size: 1,644,168 bytes
    Posted: 01/12/06
    Download Here
  • Changes of Bluetooth Stack 3.20.01 -> 4.00.30:
    - Dual Core CPU support
    - Fix OPP Upload Directory Traversal Vulnerability
    - Reduced user operations to make new connection entry.
    - New Installer for supporting all languages.
    - HID API is extended for Logitech SetPoint.
    - HID API is extended for CSR Auto Pairing.
    - Enabled the DUN(GPRS) feature.
    - Bluetooth Keyboard(HID) utility to indicate key lock status.
    - Administration and Import/Export tools.
    - Chinese (Simplify, Traditional), Korean and some other
    additional languages are added.
    - The option dialogs of Bluetooth Settings, Bluetooth Information
    Exchanger and Bluetooth Manager are integrated into one option
    dialog.
    - Service Level Security feature is added. (The security settings
    can be enabled/disabled for each profile.)
    - Available to change or hide the icon of BT manager on the tasktray.
    - Reduced the step of the express mode of the Bluetooth Settings.
    - Bluetooth Information Exchanger icon can be placed on either desktop
    or My Network folder.
    - File(Object) transfer animation is displayed at the server side when
    receiving the file(object) via OBEX.
    - Name of Bluetooth Information Exchanger is localized.
    - Bluetooth Information Exchanger can be launched from the start menu,
    tasktray icon and the Bluetooth Settings.
    - Added the Linkkey management feature.
    - Linkkey is deleted automatically when user deletes registration from
    Bluetooth Settings.
    - Added simple diagnostics feature to check whether hardware is
    working.
    - Changed uninstaller design to clean up the user data.
    It is selectable.
    - Added the feature to fix the COM port confliction issue.
    OPTIONAL SOFTWARE
    Toshiba TBIOS Driver
    • Currently i don't have that installed.
    • The Setup installs 1(!) file to system32\drivers: Tbiosdrv.sys
    • for WMI/DMI information readout?
    • *UPDATE* from Toshiba website (thanks sn0wl):
      TBIOS provides an interface for DMI-enabled applications (like Toshiba Management Console and LANDesk Client Manager) to read data from the system DMI strings.
    • More new information:
      A Toshiba Utility called Toshiba Software Upgrades needs this TBIOS drivers to read info from system.
    • versions i found:
      - v2.5
      - v2.6b
      - v2.6USB2

Yamaha S-YXG50 Mini Player

Toshiba Mobile Extension (TME)

• always the most up2date version is supported
    • Currently i don't have it installed, because i found no issue or problem how XP handles the second HD in the StyleBay, also the native XP icon in the tray (Remove Removable Hardware) is comfortable enough for me.
    • I figured that with my second HD present in the StyleBay, the TME application somehow blocks Standby function as it don't let HD go into Standby :thumbsup: . I have to kill the task and then everything is fine again.
      *UPDATE 15-JUL-2005* @ Guternet.de someone posted a hint, what setting in TME is responsible for that behaviour: you need to disable "Support für Warm Docking / Undocking" in the TME ControlPanel in order to get functional Standby again :P
    • you get 1 icon in your Toshiba Console
    • versions:
      v3.29 original version for Toshiba 5205-S703/4
      v3.71XPSP2

AGERE WiFi Client Manager

• Currently i don't have that installed as XPSP2 handles all WiFi related stuff.
    • The Client Manager offers more detailed features than the XP built in Wireless LAN Control Panel.
    • You get 2 icons in your Toshiba Console.
    • versions:
      v2.92 original version for Toshiba 5205-S703/4
      updated Client Manager HERE

Toshiba Management Console

• Installs some .OCX files to system32 and reads out WMI information (Hardware internals), not very usefull. An alternative would be AIDA/Everest or CrystalDMI for even more information :)
    • You would get another icon in your Toshiba Console, if you install it.
    • versions i found:
      v2.0.4
      v3.5.1

Toshiba ConfigFree Utility

• Nice piece of software with fancy interface and usefull functions like changing IP, Printer, Shares etc. on-the-fly with the help of profiles you need to setup, but bloat-ware. Usefull maybe for beginners.
    • You can get 100kb application which can do almost the same, also it installs some weird Network packet driver besides your TCP/IP stack.
    • You get 2 icons in your Toshiba Console.
    • versions:
      v4.90.57 original version for Toshiba 5205-S703/4
      updated version HERE

Toshiba Media Player

• Default Player in the TOSHiBA ButtonsControl Application
    • If you install YAMAHA Sound Driver v6.13.10.2152 then you get a special BASS adjustment function visible in the player
    • Also this Player has the special ability to send the MP3 title name to the SubLCD, i wonder if that could be used in other applications
    • can be replaced with any MediaPlayer if you use RemoteX
    • I remember the Toshiba "skin" was kind of fancy
    • versions i know of:
      v1.7.1.7 original version for Toshiba 5205-S703/4
      v1.7.1.8a

Toshiba PC Diagnostic Tool

• you get 1 icon in your Toshiba Console
    • versions:
      v3.0.0
      v3.0.11a
      *NEW* (27-APR-2005) v3.1.1 DOWNLOAD (~3,8MB)

Symbol Commander

symcom_anim.gif

• UPDATE 15-APR-2005:
      i added the download link for this software and the information link to Sensiva.com
    • my girlfriend loved that one:
      draw a definable schematic symbol with your mouse on the screen and the application you specified for that symbol starts
    • originally intended for PDA's, but also works for us
    • Here's a link for more information and screenshots: LINK
    • v3.15T(oshiba) | DOWNLOAD LINK ~1,5MB

DRIVERS, WHERE THERE'S NO NEED TO INSTALL/UPDATE

Intel INF update

• Not needed anymore with a fresh install of XPSP2, if you decide to install it you will replace the MS tested and WHQL'd files from 2004 with versions partially from 2001 :) (at least for the 5205-s703/4
      Don't know if it may be needed for the last generation of the 5100/5200 series with fancy new chipsets (read the ReleaseNotes)
    • versions:
      v6.3.0.1007 (most current version)

Intel Application Accellaerator IAA

• When installed on my Laptop the Hibernation shutdown time will take forever: compared to the MS driver (7sec vs. 30 seconds), so i appreciate any reports if the same happens to you or if it's just fate.
    • On the other hand you will get an interesting feature (if your HDs support it): PowerSaving Feature of HD through IAA, means the IAA can shut off/standby your HDs when there was no access to it for a specific amount of time. Works pretty well.
    • Rumors (mostly copy&pasted) that boot-time is faster, i cannot confirm.
    • v2.2.2 is the last version from Intel, which supports mobile Chipsets, no other version will work.
    • Information Update (thanks 'davidh44'):
      • According to the changelog, Intel made multiple enhancements in IAA for mobile chipsets after 2.2.2. But then they decided to take out mobile chipset support when they released 2.3 (the next publically available version).
      • With some INF hacking however, you can get later versions of IAA to work with mobile chipsets (much like with the nVidia drivers). But I found little benefit of using IAA, and haven't used it in a while.
      • The laptop hibernation shutdown time also jumped up significantly for me after installing IAA (both 2.2.2 and 2.3). I remember timing it at ~30 seconds as well with IAA installed.
      • IAA lets you control the APM (advanced power management) mode of your laptop hard drive directly from Windows, which is convenient. Other tools, such as the Hitachi Feature Tool (DOS bootup) and Hitachi Power Booster (Windows) let you do the same thing. The latter is actually pretty cool - it allows fine-tune adjustment with a sliding scale, and will also place your drive in different user-defined APM modes depending on whether your laptop is on battery or AC power. This isn't possible with IAA. I replaced the slow Toshiba 4200rpm HD that came with my Toshiba laptop before I found the Hitachi Power Booster, but the Hitachi Feature Tool definitely worked fine with it (along with drives from other manufacturers). This is because settings like AAM and APM are standardized.

USB2.0 Supplement

• not needed anymore in XPSP2 the files and version number in the Supplement package are older than the SP2 default ones

Hope this helped a bit when determining what drivers versions are available and (even more important) really usable and which of the Toshiba Modules/Software versions is definitely needed or causes problems when updating.

If you find other usefull information or any other details about this series, i can only encourage you to post them in here. We have a great and more important also knowledgable community here.