LaptopVideo2Go Forums

MS Vista Hardware Compatibilty Check Utility

®®®

Yesterday Microsoft has released the Vista Hardware Check tool. Try it and see if you need to contact your Laptop manufacturer for updated drivers.

Seriously who wants an OS that will spend 25% of the CPU power checking you have a legit version. 50% rendering the GUI.

In fact we might end up with 2D frequencies higher than 3D ones.

It was like that when XP released too so no big deal. And if I'm not mistaken Vista uses 3D to render Aero, not 2D.

My very short peak at the installation of the 5365 build on my Laptop revealed that you're able to apply classic design (like in XP) for desktop layout, start menu, control panel etc. So abuse to CPU, MEM and GPU can be partly controlled :)

But none the less i agree with Teraphy's feeling that somehow you need to do more mouse clicks to fullfill a task (browsing filesystem etc).

It was like that when XP released too so no big deal. And if I'm not mistaken Vista uses 3D to render Aero, not 2D.

By 2D I meant just using windows... yeah I like bloatware... :)

I hate pointless crap that doesn't bring anything usefull to the problem. First thing I do when I install an new OS get rid of the background and switch it to 100% black. Then get rid of the "appearance" annoyances which include graphic and sound crap. At the graphic level I only keep the Display while dragging and Styles.

I like my desktop with a lot of pixels and NEAT...

I don't think I'm going to be an early adopter of Vista. I'm taking a wait and see attitude towards the OS and the myriad of bugs it will have. I agree with Fabrice about turning off all of the extra associated junk that a new OS brings. Even Mac OSX I find annoying at times and they have set the gold standard for swanky GUI and desktop eye candy. I'll probably get it once SP1 is out, like I did with XP, and that prevented a lot of problems for me. I'll buy a new PC/Laptop at that point as well as I want a 2nd gen DirectX10 card.

Later,

Alex

P.S. Does anybody know if the new Macs will be able to run Vista as they do XP via BootCamp?

Edited by alexandertyler@yahoo.com

The thing is they are trying to cover everything from CD burning to media playing, Windows Messenger to built in firewall. Try to look from another perspective. In old times when you installed an OS for an average home user, you needed to install everything else but now just installing appropriate drivers are usually enough. I hate the way getting windows messenger, media player or lots of crap like that because I can easily choose which I want and install better ones. That is not the case for everybody.

Best way IMO is to provide a skeleton version which comes with only basic functionality. That should have been the difference between "Home" and "Pro" versions.

Best way would be (like it used to be in Windows 95 and 98 or like NLiTE which i think will be PayWare soon after leaving RC status) to let the user choose the installation scope. Power User chooses and get rid of crap using their own software and doesn't bloat registry and file amount, JohnDoe installs and has everything. But then there's MS trying and succeeding to slowly supersede alternatives and strengthen their own position on the software market.

I think this is not new :) And still we all use windows and i can live with it.