LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Inspiron 9400/Geforce Go 7800 fan speed control

Guest mustgroove

Guest mustgroove

I'm overclocking my 7800 Go atm, and I'm trying to figure out how to control my gpu fan speed... I'm running the laptopvideo2go 84.43 drivers, with the 31.66 inf, and the "Fan always on" option in the overclocking panel of the Nvidia control panel has no effect - that is, when the option is ticked, the fan isn't always on - right now, the fan kicks in whenever the GPU temp hits 80 degrees C, and then turns off again when cools down to below 70 (which takes about 30 seconds), at which point it heats back up to 80 degrees in a minute or so and the whole cycle continues...

Is there any effective way of making stay on? In lieu of that, I've tried setting up Rivatuner to control fanspeed, but I'm having no luck there either... Does anybody have any tips on how to turn the fan to "always on"? Or even better, to set the fan to be always on when the GPU is above a particular threshold?

I've heard of I9KFangui as well, but it's apparantly incompatible with Dell Core Duo laptops at the moment, but until an update comes out that's not really an option, I've heard some horror stories on other forums...

Cheers :)

Try using the original or a later driver INF (that supports your laptop natively) with 84.43 or what ever driver you would like to use.

Dell includes many many OEM settings in their INFs.

They are of no use to other laptops and I don't add them to the modded INFs.

It may be one of these settings is needed to force the fan on.

As long as the original INF is in the late 75 series or higher then you should be quite safe to use this INF with a newer driver.

Guest Guest

sounds cool, will try that! :) Thanks mate

Also, had some interesting things happen when overclocking the 7800go... temperature has never been above 80, even when overclocked under load and the fan on it's only ever got up to about 76 degrees sustained...

But I've been getting random system lockups & restarts/blue screens of death... can't be heat related, so what might it be? Voltage problems?

The go7800 (GTX) were made on 100nm dies (chip size) this means they run hotter and are bigger than the 90nm all the other go7x00 series GPU's

So the go7800 is less overclockable than a go7900 as more heat is produced from the start.

I would not recommend OCing as all you really do is make the fans turn on more often for very little gain.

By all means do an oC to get a high Benchmark score but leave it at that.

All that heat is not good for the GPU, and I'm sure Dell can work out if you send back your machine with a burned out GPU.

The go7800 (GTX) were made on 100nm dies (chip size) this means they run hotter and are bigger than the 90nm all the other go7x00 series GPU's

90nm is not the die size... it's the manufacturing process use to make the die... it's more the distance between elements. With the same functionnal design a 90nm die shrink of a 130nm chip will be smaller, will drain less power... therefore dissipate less heat... therefore have more headroom for overclocking.

In the case of 7800 and 7900 not only the manufacturing changes... but also the die design. (G70 and G71)

ps: the 7800 are in 110nm and 7900 in 90nm.

• 1 month later...
I'm overclocking my 7800 Go atm, and I'm trying to figure out how to control my gpu fan speed... I'm running the laptopvideo2go 84.43 drivers, with the 31.66 inf, and the "Fan always on" option in the overclocking panel of the Nvidia control panel has no effect - that is, when the option is ticked, the fan isn't always on - right now, the fan kicks in whenever the GPU temp hits 80 degrees C, and then turns off again when cools down to below 70 (which takes about 30 seconds), at which point it heats back up to 80 degrees in a minute or so and the whole cycle continues...

Is there any effective way of making stay on? In lieu of that, I've tried setting up Rivatuner to control fanspeed, but I'm having no luck there either... Does anybody have any tips on how to turn the fan to "always on"? Or even better, to set the fan to be always on when the GPU is above a particular threshold?

I've heard of I9KFangui as well, but it's apparantly incompatible with Dell Core Duo laptops at the moment, but until an update comes out that's not really an option, I've heard some horror stories on other forums...

Cheers :)

Hi Mustgroove.

Have had exactly the same problems as you describe. Have been using the 9x00 Fan control (search for i9kfangui on google) and this has worked pretty ok to keep my temp levels down to about 60-65 degrees C.

But now the newer drivers seem to override this util, and even the "force full speed" fan option in i9kfangui sets my GPU fan to full speed for just a couple of seconds, then the driver seem to take over again, giving way too high temp.

I regard a temp of over 80 degrees C. as WAY too high, and fear this will decrease life expectancy of the go7800, even only running on stock clock.

A simple solution would be to have the temp treshold values for the fan control adjustable. Then I could set high temp kick-in zone at 70 and release at 60 degrees C.

Any suggestions anyone?

Thanks.

Happydaydreamer