• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobilenvidia

• GodfreyOuwens

• Jericho

• The-Monk

I reinstalled the driver and every game runs great as long as I don't open the new cp. If I open it then the games crash to the desktop. I reboot and then the games work fine. Using the old cp I never have any problems.

There must be a residual process that stays active after the New CP is closed.

Have a look in the 'Windows Task manager' to see if you can see which process stays active (you'll have to compare clean boot list to after open new CP list)

Guest Asoulintime1982
Something new with this driver, the nvsvc32.exe seems to shutdown normally (without the 'usual' windows error I'd with other drivers).

It still does this for me.

There must be a residual process that stays active after the New CP is closed.

Have a look in the 'Windows Task manager' to see if you can see which process stays active (you'll have to compare clean boot list to after open new CP list)

I can't find anything that sticks. nvcpui.exe is a bit of a hog when it loads up, but it does close with the CP.

Doesn't work for me either. I did a clean install too. Also, the new control panel is a resource hog (loads too slow). I guess thats why Nvidia labeled it as beta (as in not done yet). :)

I seriously doubt that this driver will improve anything in a statistically significant way.

I've not had a proper test yet (accidentally left some heavy apps running last benchy i did) so will run them again tomorrow. IQ is supposed to have improved, however framerates have not.

And yes the new CP is slow.

Dell XPS Gen2

2.0 GHz Pentium-M

1 gig 533 MHz Dual Channel DDR2 (cas 4 )

100 gig 7200rpm Hitachi Hard Drive

nVidia go6800ultra

-video settings are at max performance

-desktop settings adjusted for best appearance with cleartype fonts and shadows on

benchmarks2xq.jpg

**note*** HL2 Benchmark was performed with these settings:

-Resolution: 1024×768

-Demo: HardwareOC - Anticitizen

-Detail: Maximum quality

-Hardware DirectX level: DirectX 9

-High Dynamic Range: None

-Heapsize: 64 MB - default

-Antialising mode: None

-Filtering mode: Bilinear

-Fast Z: Disabled

**note*** CS:S Stress Test was performed with these settings:

-1920x1200 FullScreen

-Model Detail: High

-Water Detail: Simple

-Texture Detail: High

-Shadow Detail: High

-Color Correction: Disabled

-Antialiasing: None

-Filter Mode: Trilinear

-V Sync: Disabled

-HDR: Full

**note*** PCPitstop is a 2d video test done @ 1920x1200 with 32bit color. My 2d clock speeds are: 100MHz/658Mhz ( default 2d clocks for my card ) PCPitstop Quick Tests

**note*** GL Excess run at 1024x768 with 32bit color in full screen mode. GL Excess

I had to reflash my video bios back to default clock settings in order to get more stability out of the 91.28 driver.( its the only way to OC the XPS Gen2)

Edited by GodfreyOuwens

Another thing I noticed. When going to the cp through the display properties it launches the old cp. If I right click on my desktop and choose "nvidia control panel" then it launches the new cp. And there is no option anywhere to enable/disable which cp I want to use.

Edited by Jericho

yeah I noticed that also, I even went so far as to remove the context menu control panel in the registry, but thereis only 1 registry entry for both control panels..... I even went into my system32 folder and renamed the nvcpl.cpl to nvcpl._cpl so that it wouldnt show up in my windows control panel.....

if you start the older nvidia control panel, you can go to tools and untick the "show in context menu" .. that will get rid of the old control panel from the context menu.... but as for removing the new one and leaving the old, I havent figured that one out yet....

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NvCplApi\Policies
ContextUIPolicy = 1

CplGroupUIPolicy = 1

SedonaDisable = 1

TaskbarUIPolicy = 1

Old Display CP works via desktop (right click) BUT not via Control Panel

New Display Control Panel is disabled

ContextUIPolicy = 2

CplGroupUIPolicy = 2

SedonaDisable = 2

TaskbarUIPolicy =2

Original INF default

New Display Control Panel works via Control panel and desktop

Old Dispkay CP disabled

ContextUIPolicy = 3

CplGroupUIPolicy = 3

SedonaDisable = 3

TaskbarUIPolicy = 3

Modded INF default

Both Display properties are enabled via desktop

Old Display CP is enabled via Control panel

It may mean playing with the above settings to see what other combinations are available

They can be played with and have instant results (no reboot required)

awesome... thanks... now I can get rid of that new control panel :)

your registry edits work great!!

hey Jericho, can you run any of the 3dmark benchmarks and post your results? because I have the opportunity to purchase a 7800gtx for my laptop at a great price and I wanted to see the performance... I might wait until someone verifies that they got the 7900 working in an XPS Gen2, but we'll see !!! :)

Edited by GodfreyOuwens

I am at work now, but I will run it tonight. I don't think the 7900 will fit in our laptops. They took some pics at www.notebookforums.com showing it.

What problems did you notice?

BF2 ran as if it was a slide show. It was very choppy. I had nothing unusual to what I normaly have running in the background. I figure it was the patch as I have rolled back and its working fone now.

3DMax8 Crash with 91.28 :)

But games ran :)

On my laptop 3dsmax crashed to, thought I did something wrong so i'm happy to hear it's not because of me.

Added Stereo Driver to the Download list (see first post)

I also have video playing problems.

When I play a XviD it hangs after a few minutes. Doesn't seem to be player dependant, probably a directshow thing. Had to go back to the 80's :)

I like the 80's ... it has the best music !!!!!! :)

....but seriously.. did you try to reinstall dx9.0c? the full version, that may help...

Okay, I updated my chart. I was able to get these drivers to run stable with an OC of 500MHz/1.10GHz,

benchmarks4vq.jpg

With an 11% increase on the core and a 36% increase on the memory, I only yielded a 4.4% increase on performance. My temps only went up by 2 degrees idle and load...

I will continue to update this chart when newer drivers come out, or if I am able to get these drivers stable at the 525MHz/1.2GHz speeds...

I like the 80's ... it has the best music !!!!!! :)

....but seriously.. did you try to reinstall dx9.0c? the full version, that may help...

I can try that. Are you sure if it will help? I went back to 8x.xx and it worked flawless.

What I'm asking is: has reinstalling dx9.0c fixes those problems for others?

no, I am not sure, but I thought that if you really wanted the 91.28 driver, that this may help.. but if youre fine with the 80's driver then I would just stick with them.... I just like to try the new drivers and post my results back so other people can have a more infored decision on what driver they want to use.... and for me, if it screws up my system, a reinstall or a reghost is no problem........

I play in stereo 3D, so I was very happy when I saw the 91.28 stereo driver came out the other day.

After enableing stereo 3D I get hard lock immediately in Oblivion. In Hl2 I get hard lock when I´ve started to move with stereo 3D on. In LockOn Flaming Cliffs I get hard lock when crashing the plane with stereo 3D on. In the beginning, with settings at max, I got a similar hard lock with Far Cry like that in Oblivion, but after setting antialiasing, anisotropic filtering, particle count, special effects, light and water quality, to minimum, and with bilenear filtering, I got it to run! WoW and UT2003 runs perfectly with this driver. Test and medical image runs smoothly.

My rig:

XPS M1710, 2Ghz dual core, 1Gb RAM, Go 7900 GS.

Z800 3D Visor with latest driver.

yeah i had the same problem with my dell m1710 and 7900gtx, not detected initially with oblivion, strange. that was the stock drivers on the machine, will try these when i'm home.