LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Asus a6km and overclocking

wargasm

Hi, im new here so excuse me if im a bit thick when it comes to overclocking:P

Well, i have an asus a6kmq002h laptop. It has 1024mb ram and geforce 7300 go. Its running games pretty niceley, altho i do get a some rapid frame drops in source games if i have a few characters battling on screen. In the video stress test in half life 2, running at max details @ 1280x800, 16:10, fsaa and anisotropic filtering off i would get around the 50fps mark. The stock frequencies of the 7300 are core 350mhz, memory 700mhz. I've gotten it overclocked to core 528mhz, memory 850mhz and everything sems to be running stable so far. This overclock has given me an extra 20fps in the video stress test, but i would like to squeeze as much more performance out of my laptop as i possibly can. So, i was wandering if there was any way to overclock the cpu (turion 64 1.6ghz). I cannot access the FSB or Multiplyer in the bios, and ive tried CPUCool to change the FSB via software through windows. However, i have absolutley no idea what brand of mainboard is in the laptop (i would have thought Asus, but maybe not) and i need to know something called PLL. I have absolutley no idea what PLL is and how i can get hold of it. Also after all this i don't even have any idea if i will be able to overclock my cpu via software. So if anyone knows of a better way to overclock this cpu, it would be preffered, but if CPUCool is the only option and someone out there knows what i should be doing any help will be greatly appreciated. Also, any other performance juicing tips (other than the obviouse lower detil settings etc) would be great if anyone has any. :) Thanks in advance!

all you need is a PLL number really. Some programs come with built in databases with PLL's listed, in which case all you need is the mobo model. Laptops are a little trickier though, they're custom made everything, video cards, CD roms, motherboards, etc. Only thing standardized is the harddrive and usually the memory (the memory is a maybe)

To find the PLL, you actually have to open the laptop up. I personally prefer underclocking my P4M using speedstep, longer battery, same performance (for dell I5150's, it's actually better performance but only after you've formatted the computer at least once)

all you need is a PLL number really. Some programs come with built in databases with PLL's listed, in which case all you need is the mobo model. Laptops are a little trickier though, they're custom made everything, video cards, CD roms, motherboards, etc. Only thing standardized is the harddrive and usually the memory (the memory is a maybe)

To find the PLL, you actually have to open the laptop up. I personally prefer underclocking my P4M using speedstep, longer battery, same performance (for dell I5150's, it's actually better performance but only after you've formatted the computer at least once)

I don't really feelcomfortable opening up my laptop. Is there anyone else here that has the asus a6kmq002h that knows the brand of the mainboard and the PLL? I'm not asking people to go taking there laptops to peices, really just wandering if anyone has already done this and therefore knows the PLL. thanks!

It's probably an asus board, and I dont blame you for not wanting to take your laptop apart to access the mainboard. It can void your warranty. Dell actually provides instructions on how to dissassemble my laptop so I decided to fix the power cord input thing (i dont know what you wanna call it lol) I actually crammed a piece of paper in it so it wouldnt move, since I couldnt solder it.

I'd say look around the internet, google something like "Asus a6km PLL", maybe if you're lucky you'll get somethin, I had no luck.

If you go to device manager and look under "System devices" you may also find the mainboard chipset there. Mine is listed as Intel 82852/82855 GM/GME/PM. Look for something that ends with "processor I/O Controller" near the end of the device name, thats where mine is listed.

• 1 year later...

i got a asus a6vm, quite similar to a6km except the chipset and processor

To clockup the cpu fsb i tryed the pll, it never worked. It has a locked fsb and a SWITCH near the socket, yeah my pentium-m 735 got to 2.26ghz with a switch flick (its very hard to see, such a tiny thing). My 7300go can got up to 525/890 and temp are like 60C ,but i prefered at 460/837 which is alot cooler