LaptopVideo2Go Forums

XPS M1710, GeForce Go 7900GTX and Oblivion

MPMP

At the end of Oblivion installation I get 'video hardware unrecognised' message and terrible stuttering during the gameplay which also affect sound. Lowering game settings doesn't help. I've reinstalled video driver, the game itself and still the same problem.

I've installed the newest 91.28 driver with Modded INF, but the problem is still there.

Are there better video drivers for the task? Or is it Oblivion fault and the game patch is simply needed?

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

XPS M1710, 2.16 GHz

2048MB

512MB NVidia GeForce Go 7900 GTX

• 2 weeks later...

Alright mate, got similar specs to yours, and experienced the same problem.

Got the T2500 instead, with 2gb ram, 7200 hdd. I haven't tried any other drivers as yet, nor the patch, will do tonight, let me know if you have any progress. Done any 3d mark scores yet, would be to compare!

Looks like your video card is not powerfull enough to play Oblivion. :)

I guess that if you don't mind the lag and stuttering you can try Solitaire or MineSweeper. :)

More seriously given your hardware you are likely to be facing poor/crappy sound driver issues. Disable the audio device either from BIOS or Hardware manager and try again.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Big_Al
Looks like your video card is not powerfull enough to play Oblivion. :)

I guess that if you don't mind the lag and stuttering you can try Solitaire or MineSweeper. :)

More seriously given your hardware you are likely to be facing poor/crappy sound driver issues. Disable the audio device either from BIOS or Hardware manager and try again.

I have a m1710 with a 7900 gtx. I haven't played oblivion but in Call of Duty 2 I had stuttering at 1920 x 1200 everything on full so I turned down the res. I still had the same stuttering all the way down ay 1024x768.

I found a way round it. All I did was load up the game, bring up task manager, right click on the game, select affinity then unselect CPU1. As soon as I did that I could run the game at 1920x1200 4x AA the works and it runs smooth as hell.

Don't know if it's the same for oblivion but I have noticed it on a load of games. I know it sucks, I know you have to do it everytime you play a game, but it works.

Hopes this helps.

Only CPUs with 2 core allow to change the affinity. If it gives your system a better frame rate it means that the soft devs behind Call of Duty 2 SUCK. Hyperthreading or dual core are pretty common for a long time.

Oblivion was made to use multicore PC... lots of things a multithreaded in the game. The config file is cluttered with threads reference. (graphic, physics, ...)

Guest Big_Al
Only CPUs with 2 core allow to change the affinity. If it gives your system a better frame rate it means that the soft devs behind Call of Duty 2 SUCK. Hyperthreading or dual core are pretty common for a long time.

Oblivion was made to use multicore PC... lots of things a multithreaded in the game. The config file is cluttered with threads reference. (graphic, physics, ...)

Thing is call of duty is threaded for dualcore and have tried all patches up to the latest 1.3.

It works fine on my dual core opteron with a 6800 ultra so it's something to do with the dell.

• 2 weeks later...
Thing is call of duty is threaded for dualcore and have tried all patches up to the latest 1.3.

It works fine on my dual core opteron with a 6800 ultra so it's something to do with the dell.

The affinity trick seems to be history... Microsoft released a fix of multi-core timing functions.

• 2 weeks later...

i just got oblivion, and only 2 words can describe the way i feel about the game and how it's performing on my pc.........(insert cuss words here) :( ok so i lied, that was 4words :) :P the game is absolutely BEAUTIFUL, couldn't ask for better looking graphics.....when i ran it for the first time i was :( that they auto config said that the settings were on ultra high :P by the way, if you have an alienware like mine, don't even bother trying to use the drivers that they have on their support site, you'll get an error after installation :)