LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Appeal for Help

dagurasu

Hello,

I have been trying for several weeks now to get my laptop to stop spontaneously and randomly rebooting.

It's an I8100 with GF2 Go 32MB, 512MB RAM, 15" 1400x1050 monitor.

I had been running Dell drivers up to about a year ago, but always had random BSOD issues. Then found this wonderful website, and started using the new drivers with modded infs. For awhile, 81.98 was working very well, then I started to get random reboots (no BSOD, the display would suddenly freeze then it would reboot). Every time this happened, I would get the "serious error" window after reboot, then after sending error report MS always said "Error caused by video driver".

Since then, I have tried many things, e.g. other drivers from this site (both earlier and later versions), going back to various Dell drivers, completely uninstalling the display adapter and reinstalling, etc. I also ran DriverCleaner then reinstalled 81.98, but got the same problems.

Typically, the computer will work for from a few minutes up to a few hours, then do the random reboot. Sometimes on rebooting it fails right away and reboots again, other times it is able to restart.

If anyone has any advice, I would really appreciate it. Is it possibly a hardware problem?

Thanks!

-Doug

If you don't have a spare 2"5 HDD.... Download then burn a bootable Linux CD like Ubuntu or Mandriva... boot the CD, discover the joy of those Linux versions. If it doesn't crash you are likely to be facing software issues. If it does crash... it's a little bit tricky... :)

If you have a spare HDD install a clean Windows XP SP2 + patches + drivers.

Thank you Fabrice, I burned and booted Ubuntu and it worked like a charm. I do have a spare hard disk so I will next be trying the clean XP install. Will post later with results.

-Doug

I too have a spare HDD that is not 100% reliable. (data in the 30-40 Gb range get corrupted) But I keep it so I can do those kind of tests.

I put 0.02? on the fact that it's a software related issue. *crosses fingers*