LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Quick question..

who13

hey all..heres a quick question...

ive had a issue with my battery for a little while now..im planning on buying a new one soon..its not holding the charge anymore if used unplugged.....

heres the question...

can i cause damage to my notebook if i have a "bad" battery installed???

heres the batterys specs

http://www.alienware.com/GearShop_Pages/Gear_Shop_Detail.aspx?ItemId=13138&CatId=1092

my notebook is always plugged in now..i cant use it unplugged nowadays cause the battery will die in a few minutes(i never really used it unplugged much anyhow but its nice to have the option)..plus i have one of those hot,heavy alienware 7700(prostar) notebooks so if your famialiar with them there battery suck anyhow..fully charged and depending on what your doing it will last 50minutes if your lucky...now litterally minutes...

thanx all!>.. :)

Edited by who13

My old laptops batteries don't hold charge anymore... I wouldn't see why it would damage the computer. I'd rather keep a near dead battery that would still help go thru power hickups than work with a battery less laptop.

ps: you can still use a UPC/UPS or whatever you call them... battery backuped plugs.

My old laptops batteries don't hold charge anymore... I wouldn't see why it would damage the computer. I'd rather keep a near dead battery that would still help go thru power hickups than work with a battery less laptop.

ps: you can still use a UPC/UPS or whatever you call them... battery backuped plugs.

thanx 4 the reply mate...

i just wanted to be sure since this thing is friggin expensive...i didint know if some surge or something will mess something-up...

is it normal for the battery to still work if plugged in and be dying when not plugged in??

im just trying to be sure its just the battery thats going bad and not something else...

regarding "you can still use a UPC/UPS or whatever you call them" i have no idea what that is.. :) lol

thanx 4 your time mates

:)

The battery even if not used discharge itself thru it's internal resistor. (parasite effect, a theoritically perfect battery wouldn't do that) So if left on a shelve it will run to zero after a while.

For the same reason it discharge even when in the computer... it never drops low since it's plugged in the computer that recharges it. A battery usually has a life of 300 to 500 full recharge cycles. After a lot of tiny/small charges it also dies. :)

I meant a Uninterupted Power Supply... I felt it was wrong since the accronym sounded way too familiar... Parcel thingie.

The battery even if not used discharge itself thru it's internal resistor. (parasite effect, a theoritically perfect battery wouldn't do that) So if left on a shelve it will run to zero after a while.

For the same reason it discharge even when in the computer... it never drops low since it's plugged in the computer that recharges it. A battery usually has a life of 300 to 500 full recharge cycles. After a lot of tiny/small charges it also dies. :)

I meant a Uninterupted Power Supply... I felt it was wrong since the accronym sounded way too familiar... Parcel thingie.

the one strange thing is even when plugged in the light will not stay "green" all the time..it will stay green-fully charged- and then orange-charging...even when it says 100% it will stay orange and fluctuate to green but i think its the battery is dying..i tried using my unit the other day unplugged and it died on me in 10 minutes...than after i plugged it back in it started charging but still worked..

thanx again mate... :)

Edited by who13