LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Upgrade advice needed

Audioslave

Hello all

I have an Amilo 1667G (A64 3400+, x700 128 MB) and i was wondering:

1)The data sheet for my laptop states that the video card is MXM type I. However, rumors say that it has enough space to accomodate a Type II MXM card. Doen anybody know the truth?

2)Assuming the rumors are true, what Type I or Type II card will give me a power-boost (which card will deliver maximum performance?). Will the difference be noticeable?

Thanks in advance

Alex

Hello Mr. Slave :)

I still haven't received any firm measurements of the available space inside this notebook. Feel like practicing your mechanical skills? :)

Anyways, if it acceps Type II (which I assume it does), there should be 7600's in the near future that will grant you a nice performance bonus.

If it has enough room to fit the 'Arima Special', I could send you a 6800 256MB, but that is obviously a different power class GPU. Thermal problems may arise.

Ice-Tea

Hello Mr. Tea :)

I'm not very keen on practising my mechanichal skills on my 5 month-old laptop, but if could get some pics of the actual free space around the video chip, could you tell me if it's big enough for a Type II card?

Hello Mr. Tea :)

I'm not very keen on practising my mechanichal skills on my 5 month-old laptop, but if could get some pics of the actual free space around the video chip, could you tell me if it's big enough for a Type II card?

If you measure the distances, sure. :)

Things to measure: height and width of the card, free space to the top, left and right and distance between the mounting holes for the heatsink.

Please remember that opening her up will void your warranty.

• 2 weeks later...

We meet again, Mr Tea

As my laptop was still in warranty and i didn't want to void it, i haven't removed the cooler & stuff in order to take the measurements.

Whoever, i found a post in some forum about a guy who opened an 1667G and said it has plenty of space (pic included). - post here

So, do you think it would fit a mxm type II card?

Edited by Audioslave

We meet again, Mr Tea

As my laptop was still in warranty and i didn't want to void it, i haven't removed the cooler & stuff in order to take the measurements.

Whoever, i found a post in some forum about a guy who opened an 1667G and said it has plenty of space (pic included). - post here

So, do you think it would fit a mxm type II card?

Heheh... if you scroll down a few pages you'll notice I have a few posts there, too.

I agree with the others. Type II and maybe even Type III might fit, but there are still no actuall measurements.

Problem is I currently have no intersting Type II cards. The only real upgrade I can offer right now is on a 'rogue' formfactor that will probably not fit.

Your only option is the x1800, but that's hidiously expensive and far more power hungry.

So...

Once again, patience :)

• 2 weeks later...
I've done it!

I've opened my amilo 1667 and measured it.

I've posted it here: http://www.thegamebooks.com/fujitsu-siemen...7g-t24-120.html

Cool! :)

Looks like both the Arima Special and Type III would fit.

I have a 6800 Arima Special or a x1800 Type III, but that's very expensive. And in my notebook, the x1800 required a small fan modifiacation.

I also have that notebook and i'm really interested on upgrade my video card!!! Would be fine to upgrade my x700 with a x1800 :) .. Waiting more informations :)

I also have that notebook and i'm really interested on upgrade my video card!!! Would be fine to upgrade my x700 with a x1800 :) .. Waiting more informations :)

Well, I'm not saying it can't be done, but your notebook would be hotter and louder. And as said, it's possible the fan circuit will have to be modified even though the Bios from this one may be better suited to ATI hardware...

But are you aware of the price of the x1800?

Hello again.

Could you please tell me what modifications are necessary in order to fit a type III card? Ice-Tea, do you have the Amilo 1667G too? What did you modify?

Regards,

Alex

Hello again.

Could you please tell me what modifications are necessary in order to fit a type III card? Ice-Tea, do you have the Amilo 1667G too? What did you modify?

Regards,

Alex

Judging from Audioslaves measurements, none.

The thermal mounting holes are the 41mm kind and the x1800 has 46mm. But some Amilo heatsinks can handle both. If not, you'll have to drill additional holes.

I have a 3438. Because my notebook didn't get the GPU temperature readout, I had to design a 'fan-amplification' circuit. I have drawn up a draft of the procedure but I haven't taken pictures yet.

http://www.mxm-upgrade.com/3438.html

But because your notebook is already adapted to ATI hardware, chances are that won't be necessary.

Ice-Tea

i know that price i was only dreaming XD... instead i will be interested on a 7800 or 7600.. but as i read on your website the 7800 doesn't work on Uniwill based laptop, does it? The amilo a1667g seems to be based on Uniwill...

i know that price i was only dreaming XD... instead i will be interested on a 7800 or 7600.. but as i read on your website the 7800 doesn't work on Uniwill based laptop, does it? The amilo a1667g seems to be based on Uniwill...

I should updat that page. Not only doens't it work in the 1667 or any other Uniwill, but it also fails in other Quanta models.

I have a little shred of hope for the 7600, I might be able to flash it wit another bios. But the 6800 should give you about the same performance as the 7600.

yes but the 7600 costs like a 6600, the production process is better and the 6800 is hotter.. but if it can't be done, i will think for a 6800 :)

yes but the 7600 costs like a 6600, the production process is better and the 6800 is hotter.. but if it can't be done, i will think for a 6800 :)

You're 100% right :P

But I don't know when I'll have the 7600 back and whether or note I'll be able to get her to work :)