LaptopVideo2Go Forums

1680x1050 resolution for external monitor

lorebaro

Hi,

I am a newbie. I am considering to buy an external wide LCD monitor that works at 1680x1050 resolution (Dell UltraSharp 2007WFP or Samsung SyncMaster 204B, any suggestions about?). My GeForce4 460 Go seems to not support this resolution and I red a message of someone that have my same laptop and could not solve the problem. It it sure that using a modded .inf it will works? Any other had experiences about? Thanks for any help.

Lorenzo

Hey nieghbour,

The resolutions supported by a graphic card are given by the driver. In fact to be more specific it's the INF driver file that register the proper resolutions.

So what you need is to install a driver that works for your hardware... since you have a GF4 you might want to avoid the 8x.xx familly and stick with a nice 7x.xx with the latest INF file.

Once the install is done you'll be able to feed those large LCD with lots of pixels.

I wouldn't worry about it, your laptop is actually running a higher res on your built in screen right now.

If there is a problem it would just be with the driver, and mod INF should have the right resolution in there.

Now I wonder why you don't want to get the new 2407 FPW?

They will be shipping revision A02 soon with all the banding issues and stuff fixed.

1920x1200, composite, svideo, component, VGA, DVI, HDCP, why you wouldn't want that with a 25% off coupon beats me.

You could try plugging up a decent CRT and try pumping that res to it to check, I assume your laptop only has VGA out correct?

I think I could run not only my laptop's LCD at 1600x1200 but also a CRT at 2048x1536 at the same time as each other on my 440 go.

Edit: also, only 1 topic is neccessary.

I wouldn't worry about it, your laptop is actually running a higher res on your built in screen right now.

If there is a problem it would just be with the driver, and mod INF should have the right resolution in there.

Now I wonder why you don't want to get the new 2407 FPW?

They will be shipping revision A02 soon with all the banding issues and stuff fixed.

1920x1200, composite, svideo, component, VGA, DVI, HDCP, why you wouldn't want that with a 25% off coupon beats me.

You could try plugging up a decent CRT and try pumping that res to it to check, I assume your laptop only has VGA out correct?

I think I could run not only my laptop's LCD at 1600x1200 but also a CRT at 2048x1536 at the same time as each other on my 440 go.

Edit: also, only 1 topic is neccessary.

Fabrice and Bill, thanks for the answer. I will look for a wide monitor now...

Atleast in the US, if you order the monitor after June 9, you should get the A02 revision.

If not you can always return it for the new one.

The firt release of the screen has an issue in the firmware that occurs in one of the color profile preset.

I must quit drinking beers... I can't find the info about the issue. *cough* Try Dell website... :)

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=...8&page=22&pp=20

Around the 20s (pages) or so is when it came out in the US, there are links to the dell forums and moderators as well.

Basically there was banding, text bluriness, ect.

They upgraded the firmware to fix some things, and turned of a certain feature when you run the monitor in desktop mode.

As for what they fixed in A02 I do not know yet (new version), but it might get posted here, this is the mod that knows everything.

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/bo...essage.id=57101

The monitor uses one of Samsung's latest panels, forget which one but it is the same one they have in their 24in monitor.

I also have instructions somewhere to boot the monitor into the factory menu.

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/bo...essage.id=57873