LaptopVideo2Go Forums

go 6400 now a 6500 ...awesome

classusa

yea last night i downloaded the latest 9139 drivers plus the newest rivatuner and after installing both accordingly i lastly checked the box in rivatuner that states enable professional capabilities,after applying and exiting my comp soon restarted on its own,without any warning at all..so as it boots up i notice the resolution has reset and after a couple seconds see 6500 detected at bottom right!!

at first i thought wow i really messed sumthin up here..but then realized that it is somehow much much zippier..so,after testing with various benchmarks im suddenly wondering why i havent heard of this happening before?here i thought i was stuck with this 6400 {descent for laptop}but with the clik of a mouse button i recieve a 6500 like magic i know thw rating performance increase is minimal but somehow it is equal to a 6600 go card so question remains ...wft??

dothan 750 1.8 centrino sony vaio

2 gig kingston ram

6400 go now booting as a 6500go :)

audigy zs laptop sound

I've encountered a strange phenomena like this before. My GeForce FX 5200 in a computer my dad built a couple years ago suddenly hit a boost in speed. at minimum gfx settings in NFSU @ 640x480 I used to get 15fps, after whatever happened happened, I could run the same game, same patch, at max gfx settings (except AA and AF) @ 1024x768. I had no explanation for it, just that it suddenly ran better.

If something like that happened to me, I would back up the entire system incase I break something to take it back to old performance :)

• 2 weeks later...
I've encountered a strange phenomena like this before. My GeForce FX 5200 in a computer my dad built a couple years ago suddenly hit a boost in speed. at minimum gfx settings in NFSU @ 640x480 I used to get 15fps, after whatever happened happened, I could run the same game, same patch, at max gfx settings (except AA and AF) @ 1024x768. I had no explanation for it, just that it suddenly ran better.

*rolls eyes*This is called VSYNC...

Guessing that your screen works at 60Hz... with VSYNC ON your max frame rate will be 60 fps. If the load is constant and higher on your system at one point it will fall to half that value 30 fps... then again 15 fps.

Basically if your computer is able to throw 29 fps with VSYNC OFF... it will be capped to 15 fps with VSYNC ON. Hence your results...

forgot to mention it ran at 60fps. I dont use vsync because i never have any problems with vertical tearing, and even so, vsync causes a decline in performance along with a framerate cap equal to the max refresh rate of the monitor. It was an amazing thing, some people thought it was a peak before the burnout, but its still running strong. But now its back to its old lame performance, as it barely runs WoW at 10fps (my laptop with the Geforce FX Go5200 runs WoW at 60fps at the same settings.

Then we will have to blame the GPU feary enchantment for not being permanent. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest classusa

:) fabrice roux the enchanted fairy visited my house also...im scared dude,calgon take me away...

naw i had to reinstall windows after trying the way way beta of vista and to my dismay it remains an go 6400..bah!wierd i tell ya never heard of an go 6500 before at all?so why was it saying it was...fount out it must have been enabled in rivatuner...yunno that special little warning that it states could cause permanent damages to card..well must have enabled it,didnt damage card but why the heck would it say 6500 and perform on the same ratio as maybe a 6500 would even though it doesnt exist.my temps never changed and i was able to overclock alot more.Ill try again and post benchmarks for this phenomenon if anyones interested...

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe a RivaTuner code bug (typo?)