LaptopVideo2Go Forums

NVIDIA HDCP-Aware PureVideo HD

sn0wl

header_purevideo_hd.jpg

NVIDIA this week announced what it calls PureVideo HD, a HDCP variant of its current PureVideo video processing technology. This week at Computex, DailyTech reported that several NVIDIA board partners announced boards with full HDCP support. Manufacturers included ASUS, MSI and several others showed off HDMI equipped graphics cards and many of them included the necessary Silicon Image chip to support a full HDCP-HDMI or HDCP-DVI signal.

With PureVideo HD, NVIDIA touts that better quality video can be seen, but essentially, PureVideo HD is an HDCP-aware version of its current technology. NVIDIA says that while the technology will be available in its GeForce 7000 series of GPUs, not all cards and products will support it, as not all boards will include the necessary HDCP transmitter. The following products are on NVIDIA's list of PureVideo HD compliant products:

• GeForce 7600 GT
    GeForce Go 7600
    GeForce Go 7600 GT

NVIDIA's press release also claims "Available on HD DVDs and Blu-ray discs, high-definition movies are bringing an exciting new video experience to PC users. NVIDIA PureVideo HD technology lets you enjoy cinematic-quality HD DVD and Blu-ray movies with low CPU utilization and power consumption, allowing higher quality movie playback and picture clarity."

Several laptops are also including the above GPUs as well as support for full HDCP output. Sony's VAIO AR notebook series and RC desktop series will be the first to let users experience PureVideo HD. Toshiba is also releasing its Qosmio G35-AV650 laptop with integrated HDCP-enabled GeForce Go 7600. NVIDIA says its PureVideo HD allows a computer to accelerate HD video (such as H.264, VC-1 and MPEG-2) with low CPU utilization and power consumption.

Currently it is unknown whether or not if PureVideo HD will be available to other NVIDIA graphics cards that do not use the above listed GPUs, but do come equipped with an HDCP-enabled DVI transmitter.

nVidia PureVideo HD site here.

News from: Daily Tech

I'm under the impression that all 7 Series Video Cards will support HDCP.

So, I'm guessing that the GeForce go 7900 GTX would support it. My new laptop I'm getting has the 7900, so I'm hoping I'm all set with the HDCP.