LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Help with my good old' GeForce4 440 Go

Guest Arg!

I have got a game, Heroes of might and magic V. I read the PC configutations before i bought it told me it whould work all fine for GeForce 3/4/FX/6 families. After I bought it I found another pararaph, with considerably lesser font size. It said "Laptop models not suported", which is ofcourse exactly what i got. I talked about this problem with a friend. He recomended me this place. I have tried to read about what you acturally are doing here. I think I understand the part about the modded inf and a little bit about what i were doing, but I didn't. I ended up installing i driver which seemingly only supported 600X800 pixels and 16 colors. I realy don't want to go through installing the old driver in such a mode once more. So please tell me what i have done wrong.

To be a little more spessific here is what i did.

I downloaded the Forceware 87.08 (which you recomended as the "thing for normal users")

Next I went into notepad, opened the inf file and put in the moddified inf.

After that i duble clicked on the "setup.exe" file.

It seemed to work fine even though windows began messing around with some "driver not found in register" stuff.

I reboted the macine as the driver asked me.

When the macine had restarted it started up with 600X800 pixels and 16 colors. When I tried to change it they were the only options i could choose from the menue (the others simply wern't mentioned).

If it can be of any help I use GeForce4 440 Go, in a Dell latitude laptop. I am running windows 2k but I also have a Redhat version installed on the computer.

So, my questions is:

- Can I get Heroes V to work on this computer using laptopviedeo2go?

- Have I overlooked anything important?

- Do I use the right driver?

- What am I to do?

As a last thing I can quote kirk "I am confused"... Thanks for good answers allready...

So, my questions is:

- Can I get Heroes V to work on this computer using laptopviedeo2go?

- Have I overlooked anything important?

- Do I use the right driver?

- What am I to do?

When a computer runs in 800x600 16 colors it means no driver is installed.

The latest drivers are meant to be used on latest hardware... you are likely to run into more arm than good with drivers in the 8x.xx range. Stick to something in the 76/77 zone.

FYI the Geforce 4 Go 440 is more a Geforce 2 for laptops than a Geforce 4. The only Geforce 4 Go that is a real Geforce 4 is the 4200.

Reading the requirements:

Minimum
-------
- CPU: Pentium 4 1.5 GHz / Athlon 2000+ or higher
- RAM: 512 MB or higher
- Video: 128 MB AGP GeForce4 Ti4200 / RADEON 8500 or higher video card 
- CD/DVD-ROM speed: 32x
- Sound: DirectX compatible PCI 16-bit sound card

Recommended
-----------
- CPU: Pentium 4 3.0 GHz / Athlon 3000+ or higher 
- RAM: 1024MB or higher
- Video: 256 MB AGP 8x GeForceFX 6600 / RADEON x800 or higher video card
- CD/DVD-ROM speed: 32x 
- Dolby Surround 5.1 sound processor

It means that you need a new computer to run this game PERIOD. You have to keep in might that you have a laptop of 2003 and you want to run a may 2006 game that has some pretty heavy 3D real time rendering that requires 2005/2006 hardware to run correctly.