LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Go 6800 and FS9

Doorknob

Hello noob here

I just got a Asus Z81sp with a Geforce GO 6800 it came installed with the 78.21 drivers.

Other specs

Intel P4 3.2Ghz

2Gig ram

My issue is with FS9 (MS Flight sim) I get bad graphics corruption, it isnt misplaced textures or issues like that but more like a tearing and flashing. This happens in all views.

First thing I did was set vertical sync and still no luck so I started trying different drivers.

I tried the 81.98 which worked well with my 7800 on my desktop pc, 84.21, 83.90 also all going through the install as directed here at the site, also using the modified .infs that are availble here.

Ran through the dx.diag, and no issues reported.

Also thought about heat, so waited a few hours for the laptop to cool completely then fired it up, still the same issue exsits. Is this really a driver issue? or possibly a bad card?

Any recommendations as to which driver i may want to try? or any settings to mess with?

I'm at a loss here and any help will be appreciated, I did go through a majrity of the forums but couldn't find much info regarding FS9, most deal with benchmarks and other games.

Again thank you in advance!

Jeff

Guest Guest

Ok a bump and a update to my progress...

Progress is the same, Im now back to the 84.21 with the modified inf.

I ran Driver Cleaner to completly give me a fresh install hoping that the company that built the machine might have goofed something, I also reinstalled DirectX 9c just to eliminate another possible issue.

Same graphics issues persits, flashing and what appears to be tearing something similar to when a card is overheating, this does happen even after the pc has cooled completly.

im at a loss here, any help is appreciated!!

Sorry me above.

Also want to mention I installed Quake4 just to see if this is a FS9 issue only, same corruptions appear in Quake also.

DVD s seem to run fine just games.

One dumb question... do you have patched the game?

I just seen your last comment... Go to the Clocking tab of your graphic card and DOWNCLOCK it by 20% in order to take overheating out of the loop.

Given that you run into issues in Quake 4 (OpenGL) and Flight Simulator 2004 (Direct X)... that you tried some various drivers... it smells like hardware issues. More likely overheating... summer season help a lot... :)

I don't have any overclocking enabled, so i went to where you could overclock and tried to lower the settings (optimal settings were 325-700 respectivly) and it wouldn't let me do it.

so I just set it back to no overclocking, i do think this is a heat issue mainly due to the fact that last time I saw behaviour like this it was the card getting too hot.

the laptop isnt even a week old so i may just have to send it back, it is no use if it runs so hot that you can't do anything besides surf the web :)

May be Asus locks the graphic BIOS so you can't downclock... :)

One other thing you could try is to set your PowerMizer settings to maximum energy saving... AFAIR the 3D frequencies end up between the full power 2D and 3D frequencies. Which will lead to the same thing we were looking for... downclocking the core in order to see if you are experiencing overheating.

ps: if you run into no issues at all you'll be able to put a nice explicative note when you ship your laptop back to Asus.

May be Asus locks the graphic BIOS so you can't downclock... :)

Or the driver is locked, just like my FS original 72.50 was. Most drivers from laptopvideo2go do over/underclock, but not everyone - perhaps those that have been adapted from individual laptop drivers are more problematic.

I first noticed the artifacting with the drivers that came installed by the builder that is why I decided to try newer drivers.

Using Everest home it shows my temps for the card at about 155*F which is not that bad I wouldnt think.

Searching the web I came across this forum post with links to some new BIOS files.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=44183

I have yet to hear back from Cyberpower about if they know if this bios will fix the issue or not so thinking about just going for it, guess the worst that could happen is I screw up something so bad that I need to send it back, lol..

I hope the flashing utility that came with the Z81 is as good as the one with my desktop set up from AMD and won't flash if it won't work.

If I get the nerve to try it i will post back my results!

Also while Im here is there a temperature tab in control panel with the Nvidia drivers for laptops?

My Sli rig has a temp page in the Nvidia control panel that seems to be accurate, not sure if the Go6800 is capable of this or not?

Edited by Doorknob

Ok here are the results, first when I went to Nvidia Control panels overclocking areas I did the "optimal settings" thing, and it showed 325-700 as mentioned above.

I went ahead and downloaded the BIOS from the link here (the one in the previous post didn't seem to work)

http://geared2play.com/phpbb/nfphpbb/viewtopic.php?t=587

Using WinFlash I loaded this BIOS into the PC after reboot went back to Nvidia control panel and clock settings were 325-600, fired up FS9 and Quake and artifacts were gone!

Also ran the "optimized settings" thing again and it said 354-659 to be optimal for my card, since I don't know anything about OCing I will leave it where this BIOS set it until I hear from some one with more knowledge (such as you people here) about what would be a safe setting for the best performance I can get out of this rig.

Thanks again everyone for your time and assitance and if anyone else poses this similar issue we have one more fix to let them in on :)

Jeff

First of all don't complain when a BIOS updater refuses to flash your BIOS... you might be trying to apply the wrong BIOS.

About the overclocking tab... the optimal settings are an nvidia internal test to guess which frequencies will be your limits with your hardware. So it is overclocking... and it will bring more heat to your system.

When I asked you to downclock your rig, I meant to activate the Manual overclocking and cut your GPU and memory clocks but 30%. On my PC my "lower power profile" is 260 / 530.

About your temperatures... is the 68°C / 155°F an idle or a load temp? Because my GPU is IDLEing at 45°C (113°F) and room temperature is rather high. (25°C / 77°F) If it's your IDLE temp don't look further your GPU is overheating.

ps: don't play with BIOSes if you have so little knowledge of what you are doing. You probably don't want to end up with a dead brick on your lap.

Yes when you mentioned to underclock that is what I tried to do but the control panel wouldn't let me so I did it the other way of turning down the performance settings.

The tempurature readings i was getting were at idle, and I got the numbers from Everest home edition so I don't know how accurate that is.

After flashing the BIOS I also noticed right away that the laptop doesn't seem as hot as it was before doing so.

Currently my room temp is about 80F and just turning on the laptop after it sitting all night turned off and unplugged from the wall Everest is showing a GPU temp of 35C/95F. After about 30 minutes idle temp is showing 60C/140F so this isn't good is it?

What are some solutions to lower the GPU temps?

And also is Everest a accurate utility to use to monitor temps of my GPU or do you have another suggestion?

ps. Great photos on your site, beautiful work!

Some cards are locked so that you can't change their clocks. :)

You want to check underneath your laptop where the air intake are located. The first thing you can do is use canned air to dust off the radiators.

Then one good thing to help getting more fresh air is to raise the back of the laptop. So the keyboard is slightly tilted towards you. To taise the laptop I used 4 rubber pads usually found in hardware stores to damp furniture. I glued them by pairs and placed them under my laptop rubber feet.

And also is Everest a accurate utility to use to monitor temps of my GPU or do you have another suggestion?

I checked Everest against NVTempLogger and Nvidia Display Properties and got identical results.

30 mins surfing gives GPU 57C ambient 55C when room temperature is 25C (go6800).

Mine at default Dell clocks 290 / 590... the GPU is at 47°C after 8 hours of work in a room that is now 26°C. The fan is at minimum speed 100% of the time. (it might help cooling :) )

Mine at default Dell clocks 290 / 590... the GPU is at 47°C after 8 hours of work in a room that is now 26°C. The fan is at minimum speed 100% of the time. (it might help cooling :) )

Amilo cooling system isn't too effective...