LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Better eye candy than Vista Aero Glass

Fabrice Roux

Today I received 2 hard disk trays for my laptop. This allows me to switch between my 3 HDDs. I whiped out my good old test box HDD and installed the latest release of Mandriva One 2007.

linux_xgl_compiz_cube.png_thumb.jpg

Mandriva One is a Linux release that is aimed at the Average Joe... but it's packed with great features. The lastest version integrates the XGL ontop of X which allows to get some "usefull" 3D features.

k_xgl-shot.jpg

You can see

in action. Even if it's not breakthrough features that everybody will need on his PC... I find it far more interesting than the transperency and the antialiased 3D alt-Tab found in Vista.

You can try it directly from the Live CD... and if you like it... you can run the install program than sits on the desktop. Winthin 10 minutes you'll have a nice functionnal secure box packed with lots of usefull apps. (Firefox, GIMP, OpenOffice,...)

Head over to Mandriva download page and select either a Gnome or KDE version that fits your language. I prefer the slick look of the Gnome desktop... but it's a potatoe and potatoe situation. Just avoid the Purely free version since they don't include the accelerated nVidia drivers. (because they are proprietary binaries)

If you want to be really scared... whatch

ps: other good point it runs from GeForce 4 Ti4xxx and up.

Wow...Now, are these drivers actualy capable of running 3d graphics at a reasonable speed?

You must have mixed up the base legacy 2D driver that comes with almost every distro. This version of Mandriva comes with the nVidia binary driver... which comes directly from nVidia. So yes it handles 3D pretty good.

The good thing is that you are able to test it directly from the CD. Which means that you can use it if you have a doubt on your graphic card. Download the CD (700 Mb is not that big and mirors are all over the planet).

So yes you can play 3D shooter while watching a DIVX in the background. (check second screenshot) :)

Well I want to try this now but I don't have a blank cd :)

Is there any way to install this from a virtual drive or something else or do I HAVE to buy a blank cd?

You need to actually boot it... since if you use a Virtual Machine you'll end up without 3D driver... therefore witout eye candy.

Don't you have a least a CDR that sits in a drawer or a shelve... I have 2 DVD-R and one CD-R on my desk that serve the sole purpose of OS testing.

Otherwise... you'll need to step in real life... and buy a CD.

Well its just that my cd burner is smashed :) ....So yea, I guess ill just have to use someone elses burner.

*mental note: never buy Alienware stuff*

Well as long as they don't drop off a 4 foot bench, it should be fine :)

You shouldn't take your laptop outside... superglue it to the desktop and use a power saw to dig a hole to get fresher air.

Hopefully, NOT in that exact order. :)

You shouldn't take your laptop outside... superglue it to the desktop and use a power saw to dig a hole to get fresher air.

Well if I wasn't going to take it outside then I would've gotten a much cheaper and better desktop instead.