LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Issues with drivers

Guest Marino

Guest Marino

As title says.

I am the owner of an Acer 5920G with nvidia geforce 8600mGT, and I have found some problems with the new series of nvidia drivers, starting from 173.xx.

Basically the problem is this: When I run a certain game with drivers < 171.37, everything is ok, under windows vista. If I try to upgrade to a driver >171.37 (so, 173.xx - 175.xx), the game hangs up and the computer reverts back to low power mode, issue that can be solved only with system reboot. The Game is Lineage 2.

The issue is in the drivers and windows vista. Why do I say this? Because I have run experiments:

- Acer 5920G with windows vista 32 home premium, driver 171.37 = perfect, temperature in gaming not higher than 70 C°, fan kicks in almost never, computer exremely silent and pretty cool.

- Acer 5920G with windows vista 32 home premium, driver 173--->175 = bad - perfect for 20-30 minutes, then game hangs and the computer reverts back to low power consumption mode, temperature = 80+ C° !!!!, hot laptop and system fan kicking in OFTEN.

So, I tried windows XP

- Acer 5920G with windows xp 32 professional, driver 171.37 = perfect, temperature in gaming not higher than 70 C°, fan kicks in almost never, computer exremely silent and pretty cool.

- Acer 5920G with windows xp 32 professional, driver 173-->175 = perfect, temperature in gaming not higher than 70 C°, fan kicks in almost never, computer exremely silent and pretty cool.

So, seems that there is something wrong with windows vista and drivers > 173, since the temperature is completely abnormal. I switched to windows XP and solved all my problems in one single shot.

yeah vista has its issues... most of the crashes are caused by nvidia and its drivers... but, every driver is different, so maybe you should have tried 20 drivers or so before changing to back to XP. XP is great for games, but after SP3 will no longer be supported for additional updates... well, officially anyway. plus DX10 wont exist also.

Guest Marino
yeah vista has its issues... most of the crashes are caused by nvidia and its drivers... but, every driver is different, so maybe you should have tried 20 drivers or so before changing to back to XP. XP is great for games, but after SP3 will no longer be supported for additional updates... well, officially anyway. plus DX10 wont exist also.

I tested from 173.65 to 175.80 :)

its strange you found issues for your card.

Most people here seems get on fine with 174.xx 175.xx drivers with your gpu.

do you unistall the driver before installing a new one?

Guest Marino
its strange you found issues for your card.

Most people here seems get on fine with 174.xx 175.xx drivers with your gpu.

do you unistall the driver before installing a new one?

Fresh WinVista install.

Windows XP ftw.

i meant did you unistall 171.37 before you installed the other drivers?

Guest Marino
i meant did you unistall 171.37 before you installed the other drivers?

of course, I also reinstalled 173.++-175.xx on a fresh windows vista re-install.