LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Getting a GeForce FX Go5200 *128MB* working?

jgrn307

I was trying to get these drivers working about a year ago and managed to get a successful install, but the .INF only supports the 32/64MB models of the card I have in my IBM (Lenovo) Thinkpad G41 running Windows XP Pro with all service packs and Lenovo updates installed as of this posting, a 128MB GeForce FX Go5200. Rather than "lose" the 64Mb, I reverted back to the factory driver (6.7.8.1 from 2004, yay). I recently got a 42' HDTV I'd like to use as a monitor, but I'm seeing errors in video playback that I can attribute to old drivers (if I disable hardware acceleration, the movies playback, although with additional issues) so I'm re-investigating getting these drivers working. At present, I can't get 179.13 to install at all (doing the have-disk gives me a "Parameter is incorrect" error, and the setup.exe finishes with a "your system was not modified" when using the modded .inf). Any trick to getting this model of card working? Thanks! I'm happy to send along any additional info required to figure this out!

(update: I've attached the NERD output to this email)

LaptopVideo2Go_LogFile.zip

Edited by Darmdorf
Removed INF -- not helpful in this case

Use the "Have Disk" method and install any driver you want. Just tell it you have a 32/64MB version of the FX Go5200. (Don't worry about losing 64MB - the driver will use all available VRAM.)

As you've discovered, support for the FX Go5200 (and maybe all FX cards) has been dropped. The most recent drivers that install are the 176 series. However, the most recent drivers that work well are the 169 series. I recommend 169.72 - it's an excellent driver.

Hello jgrn307, welcome to the forum. LSudlow is absolutely right. Follow his advice and you'll be a happy camper. Let us know how what kind of results you manage. Hope you enjoy your visits with us here.

Hello jgrn307, welcome to the forum. LSudlow is absolutely right. Follow his advice and you'll be a happy camper. Let us know how what kind of results you manage. Hope you enjoy your visits with us here.

Thanks! I'll try those drivers out -- quick question (and I apologize because I noticed one of the pinned posts is Please stop asking "What is the best driver") -- is there a specific reason to NOT use the more recent version which works? Did the 176 series introduce errors which were not in the 169 series? Thanks! As a heads up I'm trying to fix a deinterlacing error (with hardware acceleration on) and a diagonal strobing error (with hardware acceleration off) with AVC and DivX videos on my new 42' 1080P HDTV.

I have to say, all things being equal, the card is holding up remarkably well given the age -- I can run Spore and WoW without turning EVERYTHING off... No UT3 for me, tho :)

(update) I'm not seeing a modified INF for my system in the 176 section -- any suggestions or just go for the 169 suggested above?

Edited by jgrn307

I'm not sure which driver would better solve your video problem, although I'm playing 720p video very nicely with 169.72 on my 64MB Go5200. That diagonal strobing error is well known and is usually solved by turning off VMR and using hardware overlay in your video player. (In WMP, use "Overlay" instead of "High Quality Video Mode.")

For gaming the 169 series is significantly faster than any of the 17x series drivers with the Go5200.

You should be able to use any of our modified infs by using the "have disk" method. The method should work the same with both the 169 series and the 17x series drivers.