LaptopVideo2Go Forums

INF files quoting their filenames

ministeve

I noticed that sometimes an INF file quotes its name as

HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\NVIDIA,UninstallString,%REG_SZ%,"rundll32.exe %11%\nvinstnt.dll,NvUninstallNT4 nv4_disp.inf"

What are the consequences of changing the INF filename without changing the above setting (using the "setup.exe" or "have disk" method)?

Thanks

When you uninstall the driver through Add/Remove Software the setup searches the nv4_disp.inf for uninstallation instructions. If you have renamed the nv4_disp.inf then uninstallation will likely not succeed or will not be completed.

Installation is not affected.

Sounds good to me. Or it might find an older nv4_disp.inf and attempt an uninstall.

The newer drivers have a CoInstaller uninstall method. Pretty snazzy.

Or it might find an older nv4_disp.inf and attempt an uninstall.

Right.

How far the coinstaller thing is getting involved i didn't figured out yet.

Thank you very much to all of you for replying.

When you uninstall the driver through Add/Remove Software the setup searches the nv4_disp.inf for uninstallation instructions. If you have renamed the nv4_disp.inf then uninstallation will likely not succeed or will not be completed.

I thought the same when I saw it, namely that it was a silly idea to rename the INF file, and that it could have invalidated my past tests, as uninstall may have not worked properly.

However, today I have searched for an nv*.inf under \WINNT and found only nv3.inf and nv4.inf, (both in C:\WINNT\inf, apparently binary or heavily corrupted) and NVTS.INF (in C:\WINNT\Driver Cache\OEMDRV, for version 27.27, the ancient toshiba driver version).

A potentially relevant registry entry says the relevant INF is named "oem5.inf".

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000]
"InfPath"="oem5.inf"
"InfSection"="nv4_T00011179"
"ProviderName"="NVIDIA"
"DriverVersion"="4.5.2.4"
"MatchingDeviceId"="pci\\ven_10de&dev_0175&subsys_00011179"
"DriverDesc"="NVIDIA GeForce4 420 Go (Toshiba Mobile)"

There is one in C:\WINNT\inf; I compared it with the file nv4_disp.inf in my driver's installation dir, and they're identical. Maybe uninstall doesn't look for the internally quoted filename in my case. BTW I have never noticed problems in uninstalling. What is your opinion?