LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Forceware Comparison Links

mobilenvidia

• 2 weeks later...

Forceware Drivers Compared (61.77 - 66.29 - 66.51 - 66.70 - 66.81)

http://www.tcmagazine.info/modules.php?op=...owcontent&id=68

They perform all the same, except 61.77 has a better OpenGL performance. So nothing really new.

They tested FarCry, DOOM3, UT2003/4, Call of Duty and Quake3.

Added 29-JAN-2005:

http://www.tcmagazine.info/articles.php?ac...&showarticle=99

If someone of our fellow (passive-) readers find other, new or better comparisons, pls. let us know (you can post as guest :) )

Edited by ®®®

Can someone try copying the NVOGLNT.DLL file from 61.77 driver and copy it into 66.81 driver. (overwrite)

Then install 66.81, I have tried it and it installs just fine, it wll say driver file mismatch (just click OK a few times and it goes away).

I havn't any decent OpenGL benchies to try.

This might be an option for the best of both worlds, 66.81 D3D and 61.77 OGL.

Pieter.

hey mobile i just installed it that way setup completed then lcd went blank and white screen came on, i had to do a hard shutdown and then it came up with everything installed and no errors it lists the versions in it right ill game on it with half life and ill install some other games later on and report back here

the niTz

ns didnt even want to run it cause it was a differant version any suggestions

From me there is only one suggestion:

Dont' mix different driver version files!

It haven't worked in the past, and it will never work in the future (prediction :) ). It might work for a short time with one game, but the next game will not run.

For a testing installation and to figure in this case if there is a possibilty to get the better OGL performance it is OK, but for stability sake and for use in real life dont' even set hope in it.

It can normally be done with same series drivers, but seeing 61.77 is a 60's series and 66.81 is a 65 series there is every likely hood of failure.

Oh well no harm done, just install either driver, we can't have both D3D and OGL speed, we must choose.

yeah i uninstalled it and tried 66.70 and it wouldnt let me get to the right re and color only 640 and 8bit so i went to .81 pretty good fps in HL

ill try tinkerin with it in a few days after i get my xeon up and running

• 4 months later...
Guest Speedy5160

Isn't the hardforum's forceware comparison only good for the card they used to test with?

I believe I can't say that 66.70 will be the best driver for my GeForce 3 200 Ti as I can't say 66.70 is good for my FX Go 5200 in my laptop since on Larry's benchmark it fails everything.

Does anyone know of a link that tested GeForce 3 200 Ti and found the best driver?

The reason I say this is because based on Larry's benchmarks I tested 53.06 for my 5160 and its the best one for the smoothest HDTV output from wmvhd.com at 1080p. All others fail to achieve at least 30fps. I tested 76.10, 66.51 and now staying at 53.06 even though its listed as "very beta".

You are exactly right. One of the best examples is the current situation with the 7x.xx drivers vs. the FX series with 32 or 64MB of RAM. The 7x.xx drivers test very poorly on my 64MB FX Go5200, but are producing excellent scores on the GeForce 6xxx cards with 128 or more of RAM. I certainly hope no 6800 Ultra users are using my benchmarks as a guide... They would reach some very wrong conclusions.

I haven't done any formal testing with it, but I do have a GeForce 3 200 Ti on my desktop machine and agree with you that no driver since the 53 series has performed as well. Technically, the 48.xx series is even faster, but the 53 series supports more recent games and is the better choice. 53.06 seems to be the best bet with that card.

I use 53.06 with it. It's an excellent driver. (I've just edited my earlier post to make that clearer. Thanks!)