LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Geforce fx5200go: going from 32mb to 64mb

Guest Steven

Guest Steven

Hello

currently I have a i5150 with a 32mb geforce fx 5200 go, and hearing lsudlow about how he upgraded his 32mb to a 64mb, where did you get the 64mb? I tried looking everywhere for it, but I couldn't find one. I want to get a new one, and not from ebay, just because I can't really trust the quality.

once i get the new card, how do I install this? I've done my fair deal of opening up the notebook ever since the lcd broke, i've replaced the screen myself, but I've never seen anywhere you could replace the video card. could I plrease get some assistance here, thanks a lot!

I got it from Dell Spare Parts at 1-800-449-3355 ext 69937. The part number is M1325.

I have the 5150 Service Manual in PDF form, but the same installation informaion is available here.

Good luck with it!

ahhh thank you very much

I was wondering, did you see lots of improvement when you upgraded from 32mb to 64mb? I play World of warcraft on this laptop, and it runs okay i guess, but I can feel it just strains my 32mb gfx. It would be nice if i could run it on 1024x768 or something, or maybe get it to run smoother by just leaving it on its current 800x600 res.

my system specs:

P4 2.8 w/ HT

1GB ram

40GB 5400rpm HDD

GF FX 5200go 32MB

Also, Lsudlow, is there a way for me to find out what version BIOS i have on my i5150? I'm pretty sure I have A38, but i would really love to doublecheck it. Thank's a lot, really helps to have someone who has teh same laptop as I do who's so knowledgable :)

Yes, there was a huge difference with the 64MB card. 3DMark scores improved by around 80% and games were suddenly quite playable. (That was 18 months ago. Today's DX9 games are far too demanding for the Go5200 to handle. 3DMark05 is painful to watch.) --- WOW definitely would be improved and 1024x768 should be no problem at all, or even higher if the game supports it.

The BIOS version is displayed on the Dell startup screen, right under the progress meter. It says something like "BIOS revision A38".

hmmm nice, ill get to it asap

do you know how much yorus was?

Also, which driver would give me the best performance? I currently use 67.77 drivers, but is there something that could potentially be better performance for WoW?

It was something like $85 (US) at the time. Quite affordable.

67.66 is the performance driver of choice right now. 67.02 is slightly faster, but 67.66 solves some bugs and is very nearly as fast.