LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Linux: anyone else here using it?

Dox

anyone else here using it?

or thinking of installing a distribution such as ubuntu/suse/gentoo etc?

if so lets discuss and hopefully liven this section of the forum abit.

hopefully :)

:)

thats great!

how long have you been using it?

ive only started on tuesday.

i must admit after some initial concerns it very easy to use, plus all the answers are out there if you ever get stuck.

Using the terminal and commands makes you feel like a hacker :)

I've been using linux for a long time now.

My desktop is a dual boot with kubuntu Hardy (8.04) and so is my current laptop a Dell Latitude D620.

i've been using it for maybe a month.

everything worked from first boot except it was a bit difficult installing new video drivers until i found some software online.

i know what you mean about using the terminal, but i get nervous every time i use it...i feel like i'm about to ruin the entire os :)

I've been using linux for a long time now.

My desktop is a dual boot with kubuntu Hardy (8.04) and so is my current laptop a Dell Latitude D620.

Yeah that sounds great.

Im thinking of doing the same as you once i get my desktop running.

i've been using it for maybe a month.

everything worked from first boot except it was a bit difficult installing new video drivers until i found some software online.

i know what you mean about using the terminal, but i get nervous every time i use it...i feel like i'm about to ruin the entire os :)

i know what you mean!

thats one of the only "problem" with ubuntu is the need to use the terminal,

but i also see it as another thing to distinguish it away from windows.

Plus you get more satisfaction using lnux/ubuntu for some reason.

its like a game on easy (windows) and playing the same game on hard (linux/ubunutu)

much more satisfaction on hard i find. : :)

Yeah that sounds great.

Im thinking of doing the same as you once i get my desktop running.

I think you'll find that configuration very useful. BTW the preferred install order is to install first windows and then linux, as Win overwrites the MBR with no mercy.

i know what you mean!

thats one of the only "problem" with ubuntu is the need to use the terminal,

Actually one can use the terminal only for say 30% of the operations (probably a large over-estimate). I find the terminal useful for administering software, though ubuntu provides handy graphical administration tools for all administration tasks.

I think that kind of confidence is very subjective. For example I feel more insecure when using explorer-like tools. If I'm not careful, I could move a large directory tree instead of just moving its root icon in the window, or move it to an unwanted destination by releasing the button to soon.

I think you'll find that configuration very useful. BTW the preferred install order is to install first windows and then linux, as Win overwrites the MBR with no mercy.

thanks for the tip :)

luckily thats how i installed it on my laptop.

Actually one can use the terminal only for say 30% of the operations (probably a large over-estimate). I find the terminal useful for administering software, though ubuntu provides handy graphical administration tools for all administration tasks.

I think that kind of confidence is very subjective. For example I feel more insecure when using explorer-like tools. If I'm not careful, I could move a large directory tree instead of just moving its root icon in the window, or move it to an unwanted destination by releasing the button to soon.

i dont mind using the terminal at all, as you rightly say it is subjective, at least with the terminal if you know what you are doin you wont make a mistake such as you describe.

Also it is faster using the terminal than to use the explorer to say install/uninstall etc

Dox I see from today's posts you are taking care of Linux drivers. Did you use the nv driver in xorg, or the restricted driver from ubuntu?

well tbh im newb to linux/ubuntu.

i updated using the restricted drivers from ubuntu which was 169.12.

Then updated using envyNG to 173.14.05.

My next step is to try and update manually to the versions i posted on this site, using this guide perhaps: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=57368

I'm just a bit busy learning the terminal at the moment, commands etc.

EDIT

After writing the above i have sucessfully updated my driver to 177.13 using the guide above :)

it was more striaght forward than i thought.

I didn't want to rush into installing manually only after a week but there was really nothing too difficult about it :)

if there is demand for it i will write a simplier newbish guide to updating nvidia drivers in ubuntu based on my own experiences.

After writing the above i have sucessfully updated my driver to 177.13 using the guide above :)

it was more striaght forward than i thought.

I didn't want to rush into installing manually only after a week but there was really nothing too difficult about it :)

if there is demand for it i will write a simplier newbish guide to updating nvidia drivers in ubuntu based on my own experiences.

Excellent!

I'm also a newbie as far as drivers are concerned. I've always used the drivers that Debian stable has provided (I also manage a Debian host), and lately the ones that the most recent current kubuntu distribution has, for my private machines.

In the proprietary driver display rotation is not supported if TwinView is enabled, I have read somewhere on nvidia's site. I hope nvidia will change that. In that case I might switch to the manual procedure until the package maintainer takes care of the update.

EDIT: I was wrong, TwinView excludes rotation only until 1.0-8776 in ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/

im sure you'll be fine with the manual update.

if i can do it so can you :)

i dont usuall update drivers unless there is a problem.

the 173.14.05 driver installed via envy fixed corruption playing flash videos on youtube on battery power and no slowdowns when rotating the desktop using compiz fusion effects (also on batter)

i only updated to 177.13 just for the sheer curiosity of how to do it manually.

and it was surprisingly straightforward.

I think the same applies to somebody who is used to Linux and has to use the command prompt in Vista, lets say for bcedit or fsutil.

• 3 weeks later...

From http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/HowToRandR12

RandR 1.2 does not support multiple boards yet (it's planned for RandR 1.3). It means that any RandR 1.2 aware driver will crash the server if you have 2 boards. Even one board with a RandR 1.2 driver and another board with a classic driver does not work. It just crashes the X server.

That is very inconvenient as one might have just one rotatable monitor.

• 5 months later...

this part of the forum needs more activity :)

Anyway, I use Gentoo and Mandriva and i've already tried Debian, Fedora, X/K/Ubuntu and Red hat

I use Kubuntu 8.10 (dual boot with Vista 32) and 177.78 :)

Have some lugs with windows` animation and so on, and now i`m going to upgrade to 180.11.02 :)

I don't run any Linux systems with Nvidia cards (anymore) but I do have an old Celeron (Pentium III Coppermine) box running Ubuntu 8.10 server and acting as the server for my website, michaelmarley.com.

Anybody here running 180.11.02? :)

I'm still using 177.82, but 180.18 (beta) is already out, (X86, X86-64)

Thanx for the links, will try these new later this week. Btw, what kinf of distr are you using? I use kubuntu 8.10 (intrepid) dual boot with vista x86 on my lap :)

Only distro I tried was Ubuntu 8.04.

Loved it, quit it to dualboot vista and XP to test my drivers.

Would like to try slackware someday

I have just installed Kubuntu 8.10 on my laptop today, and I think I will keep it as a dual boot.  The 2D (scrolling, etc) performance of the 180 series drivers is much better than the older ones.

• 1 month later...
Guest Dragunov-21

I'm Dualbooting Vista Ultimate and Ubuntu (Intrepid/8.10)

Gradually doing more and more in Linux instead of windows as I get more skilled/comfortable with it - loving it so far.

There are really some great apps out there, plus... scorched3d, anyone?

Scorched3d is fun :)

Btw, driver 180.27 is out (X86-64) (X86)

VDPAU is avaible with these 180, and it seems to be working

• 8 months later...

Well i use ubuntu 9.10 in my laptop,8.04 in my desktop and vector linux/puppy linux in my lecagy desktop :) almost don't touch windows..