LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Inspiron 8000 S-video help

Guest Daryl Hare

Guest Daryl Hare

I am trying to connect my Inspiron 8000 (running winXp) to my tv through the s-video out. When I turn the computer on, the display appears on the LCD and on my TV until the window login screen loads. Then the image is only on the LCD. I tried pressing function f8, but all the happens is the LCD goes dark while the tv flickers and then the display returns to the LCD.

Please help. If possible, I need this working by Friday. Sorry for the short notice, but I didn't think this would be difficult.

Thanks.

Given the urgency of your problem, I'm posting this partial response -- I would under other circumstances have waited for someone more knowledgeable to post. Hope it helps, anyway.

Connect to the TV. You next need to go into Display Properties (right-click on any empty space on the desktop and select Properties).

Click on the Settings tab.

Click on the Advanced button.

There may be a tab there for your specific video card. If not, try under Monitors.

This is where I metaphorically abandon you. You need to look for options to 'clone' your laptop display onto the TV. I can't help more precisely, because what you see depends on what video card and driver you've got.

Another thought, however: if you're connecting from the s-video out to the TV via a SCART adaptor, you may find that you can only get b/w on the TV -- I believe that SCART doesn't have an s-video pin. You can get special s-video to SCART adaptors (the place I know of is in the US, so no good for Friday...), but if possible, connect to the TV using a composite video socket.

You might also want to try the program called TVTool.

Guest Daryl Hare
You might also want to try the program called TVTool.

So far, no luck. TVTool does not seem to recognize my video card (ATI Mobility 128 AGP 4x). Also, I set the resolution to 600x480 and 800x600, but neither worked. The same problem continues. The weird thing is when I boot up, the display does briefly appear on the tv. I just can't get it to stay. I also unfortunately don't know my way around WinXP very well. I knew how to solve this in win98se. If it helps, my computer lists 1 video card and 4 default monitors. I tried deleting 3 of them to see why I had so many, but the three I deleted came back. Might I need to set something on one of these? How would I go about doing that?

Thanks.

So far, no luck. TVTool does not seem to recognize my video card (ATI Mobility 128 AGP 4x).

Hmmmm since you posted questions here... I ASSUMED that you had a nvidia based laptop... But I can't really be blamed for that.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest mike
I am trying to connect my Inspiron 8000 (running winXp) to my tv through the s-video out. When I turn the computer on, the display appears on the LCD and on my TV until the window login screen loads. Then the image is only on the LCD. I tried pressing function f8, but all the happens is the LCD goes dark while the tv flickers and then the display returns to the LCD.

Please help. If possible, I need this working by Friday. Sorry for the short notice, but I didn't think this would be difficult.

Thanks.

I have the same exact problem. Did you figure out how to get it working?

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest bestesbike
same problem ayne know the answer?

I had the same problem with an Inspiron 8000 running WinXP. I installed the latest ATI Mobility 3/4 driver from Dell and then I could define a "TV" monitor as a second monitor. I had to number this TV monitor as number 1 and the LCD as number 2. You end up with the TV being your monitor and the LCD being nothing but wallpaper. Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Constantine
I had the same problem with an Inspiron 8000 running WinXP. I installed the latest ATI Mobility 3/4 driver from Dell and then I could define a "TV" monitor as a second monitor. I had to number this TV monitor as number 1 and the LCD as number 2. You end up with the TV being your monitor and the LCD being nothing but wallpaper. Hope this helps.

Men I have the same problem, where did you download the driver?