LaptopVideo2Go Forums

World Of Warcraft BSOD Crashes

tavaris

Hey all,

First off a quick thanks to this site. I swear I was about to burst a blood vessel when I realised Nvidia dispise laptops and Toshiba update every second century. So thanks laptopvideo2go crew.. :)

Now onto the issue at hand. Recently I installed WoW on my system:

M40 Satelite

2.0 gig cpu

1.0 gig ram

128mb Geforce go 6600

With your latest mod drivers (incl. inf files supplied by your site)

Even before installing the modified drivers from this site the game has been crashing randomly to the horrid BSOD and providing the message: nv_disp.dll error. Micosoft take a dump on my computer and then I restart.

The game doesn't show any signs of tearing in the graphics or glitches. The gameplay is smooth and then seconds later it locks up and kicks me to the horrid blue sceen.

Does anyone know of a fix for this? My resolution is at 1280x800.

I've followed most of the suggestions in the FAQ's floating around, but none help. Uninstalled all display drivers from my system and reinstalled them. Updated my Bios to the latest available version. Turned down the graphics to eye-stabbing pixels and still the game crashes. I've played tons of other games on this little laptop like FEAR, NFS Most Wanted, Doom 3... none of which have ever crashed once.

I guess it might be an over heating problem, but why doesn't it overheat when I play the above games at almost full graphics for hours on end gaming (Doom 3 at average graphics settings)?

One last thing, this has also happened on Everquest (not 2... just old EQ1).

Anyone who can help shall be worshipped like a god. :) Maybe a more stable driver?

Guest Jaded

I actually had this exact same issue until I installed driver 84.25. I have'nt had a single bluescreen since. My screen doesnt seem to be as bright as it was with the previous driver...although I'm not 100% sure that is a driver issue...I'm on my third screen so far.

Hope that helps

I actually had this exact same issue until I installed driver 84.25. I have'nt had a single bluescreen since. My screen doesnt seem to be as bright as it was with the previous driver...although I'm not 100% sure that is a driver issue...I'm on my third screen so far.

Hope that helps

Hey Jaded!

Thanks for the reply, I'll test out your theory tonight and report back with either praise or return even more of a jibbering lunatic.

Either way thanks.

EDIT:

Ok I jumped into WoW after uninstalling the driver and reinstalling your recommendation and played for about and hour before the game slowly started locking up (pausing every few moments). Eventually it shutdown WoW but to my relief didn't crash to the blue screen! So for that I must praise you. How I loathe that BSOD.

I'm really starting to think it might be my system overheating, but I could be wrong. If so my question is what options do I have to keep it cool (besides putting it in the freezer or going outside...since it's freezing outside)? I'm going out tommorow to get one of those laptop fan pad coolers.

By the way, I'm not changing the subject entirely, I know that is frowned upon, I'm more so, exploring all avenues.

Edited by tavaris

Guest Jaded

Hey Tavaris

Glad to hear the driver is working...well better anyways.

I'm not so good on the recomendations of hardware so I cant recommend parts for cooling. Sorry.

I do know however I have had that same issue playing wow one time when my laptop wasn't getting enough air underneath...it was on a pillow, the whole thing slowed to a halt and started locking up.

Good luck with the cooling...

oh btw is your screen as bright as it was with the previous driver? I'm having screen brightness issues...

Jaded

Hey Jaded!

Thanks for the reply, I'll test out your theory tonight and report back with either praise or return even more of a jibbering lunatic.

Either way thanks.

EDIT:

Ok I jumped into WoW after uninstalling the driver and reinstalling your recommendation and played for about and hour before the game slowly started locking up (pausing every few moments). Eventually it shutdown WoW but to my relief didn't crash to the blue screen! So for that I must praise you. How I loathe that BSOD.

I'm really starting to think it might be my system overheating, but I could be wrong. If so my question is what options do I have to keep it cool (besides putting it in the freezer or going outside...since it's freezing outside)? I'm going out tommorow to get one of those laptop fan pad coolers.

By the way, I'm not changing the subject entirely, I know that is frowned upon, I'm more so, exploring all avenues.

Hey Jaded,

Thanks for the help.

I eventually got it working in the end, with occasional crashes. But so far it's quite minimal so it's tons better than before.

I downgraded my driver to the Toshiba initial driver that came with the laptop. Far more stable so far than any of the Nvidia drivers. Even though it's severly outdated.

Well I hope others read this who have the same problem. It's been almost 2 weeks of frustration... at last I shall sleep tonight.

• 3 weeks later...