LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Trying to Update GPU driver.. Can't figure out which one

Paul Bender

Hi I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to doing Driver updates for a laptop (I mean I can do updates on a desktop computer but this is the first time I need to do a driver update on a laptop.

Anyway to cut to the chase, I have a Sharp Actius RD 10 computer with a P4 Proccessor 512 K or ram and a Geforce 4 420 M32 GPU, and i am wondeirng what the latest version of a driver I can look for. (I've tried to install some of the drivers (such as the 84.xx series) and am from time to time having an odd looking white screen..(I've also tried to go back to the 6x.xx series) and also am having no luck.. :)

Just wondering what Drivers would be appropriate for this upgrade.. (According to what i had on Nerd, the last version I had was the 61.xx series driver (61.31 I believe..)

are their any other drivers out there that would work? (I'm also trying to run "The Sims 2" (Which uses Direct x9.0c and in fact until I uninstalled the Drivers it was working slightly below nominal specs..

anyway if there is any idea of what dirvers I should use for this Could someone please tell me which one is the correct one to use? Please and thank you..

Paul Bender

I say give 71.89 or 77.77 a try.

I say give 71.89 or 77.77 a try.

77.77 - Tried to install told me to stop installation (but went ahead with the installation (Got the "White Screen of Death "(the screen turns white and graphics are poor..) Had to uninstall .. :) (and yes I did install the .inf file so it would work).

71.89 -- haven't tried to install that one yet.,. will give that a try..

Paul Bender

77.77 - Tried to install told me to stop installation (but went ahead with the installation (Got the "White Screen of Death "(the screen turns white and graphics are poor..) Had to uninstall .. :) (and yes I did install the .inf file so it would work).

71.89 -- haven't tried to install that one yet.,. will give that a try..

Paul Bender

Hi Paul,

Did you do a full uninstall, or just a rollback? with my Geforce4 420Go, I only got effective results if I uninstalled the video drivers, and then on boot-up when XP "found" the video card, did the "have disk' routine. Using 77.77 by the way.

Cheers

Sandman

Hi Paul,

Did you do a full uninstall, or just a rollback? with my Geforce4 420Go, I only got effective results if I uninstalled the video drivers, and then on boot-up when XP "found" the video card, did the "have disk' routine. Using 77.77 by the way.

Cheers

Sandman

Ah that might explain that.. I did a complete uninstall (and the old version I had was 61.91 and the system was stable. but let me try again (and I'll use the 77.77 version and see what happens when i do this per instructions.

Edited Note: Tried as suggested.. Still get "White Screen" (Am starting to wonder if I need to upgrade BIOS?)

Paul Bender

Edited by Paul Bender

These rare Sharp Laptops with NV GPUs apparantly needs special settings in the INF. Try searching for "white logon screen" in our forum or try to use the "SoftwareSettings" out of the INF from your original driver provided with your Laptop and paste them in our modded INF.

These rare Sharp Laptops with NV GPUs apparantly needs special settings in the INF. Try searching for "white logon screen" in our forum or try to use the "SoftwareSettings" out of the INF from your original driver provided with your Laptop and paste them in our modded INF.

Okay I did a search for the parameter "white logon screen" and this is the only thread that pops up..

Also I was able to find a rather old driver (v3.2.20) and get it's driver info off of the .inf as perscribed.. here's what I got..

;

; NVIDIA Windows 2000/XP Display INF file

; Copyright 1999-2002 NVIDIA Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

;

[Version]

Signature="$Windows NT$"

Provider=%NVidia%

ClassGUID={4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Class=Display

CatalogFile=NVMT.CAT

DriverVer = 11/08/2002, 3.2.2.0

;

; The Manufacturer section lists all of the manufacturers that we will

; display in the Dialog box. DEVICE sections are specified.

;

;

; Device section. Each section here corresponds with an entry listed in the

; [Manufacturer] section, above. The models will be displayed in the order

; that they appear in the INF file. This section identifies

; the corresponding INSTALL sections.

;

[NVidia.Mfg]

%NVidia.Nv17M.3.1% = nv4_8060_MAP464, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0176&SUBSYS_80601071

%NVidia.Nv17M.3.2% = nv4_1, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0176&SUBSYS_86401071

%NVidia.Nv17M.3.3% = nv4, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0176&SUBSYS_103013BD

%NVidia.Nv17M.5.1% = nv4, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0179&SUBSYS_103013BD

%NVidia.Nv17M.5.2% = nv4_8060_MAP464, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0179&SUBSYS_80601071

%NVidia.Nv17M.5.3% = nv4_8060_MAP464, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0179&SUBSYS_86401071

[nv4]

CopyFiles=nv4.Miniport, nv.Display, nv4.icd, nv.Panel, nv.Help, nv.Panel.Localized, nv.Help.Localized, nv.nView

DelFiles=nv.oldrm, nv.delete.systemfiles

RegisterDlls=nv.RegisterShell

[nv4.SoftwareSettings]

AddReg = nv_SoftwareDeviceSettings

AddReg = Modes1280854_AddReg

[nv4_1.SoftwareSettings]

AddReg = nv_SoftwareDeviceSettings_8060_MAP464

AddReg = NoModes1280854_AddReg

[nv4_8060_MAP464.SoftwareSettings]

AddReg = nv_SoftwareDeviceSettings_8060_MAP464

AddReg = Modes1280854_AddReg

;

; NVidia Add registry section

;

[nv_SoftwareDeviceSettings]

HKR,, InstalledDisplayDrivers, %REG_MULTI_SZ%, nv4_disp

HKR,, VgaCompatible, %REG_DWORD%, 0

HKR,, VPEENABLE, %REG_DWORD%, 0

HKR,, Mobile, %REG_DWORD%, 3

HKR,, UseHWSelectedDevice, %REG_DWORD%, 1

HKR,, RMMaintainDevs, %REG_DWORD%, 1

HKR,, DualViewMobile, %REG_DWORD%, 1

HKR,, PushBufferMemorySpace, %REG_DWORD%, 2

HKR,, DevSwitchSuppressMask, %REG_DWORD%, 5

HKR,, UseBestResolution, %REG_DWORD%, 1

HKR,, "TV Out", %REG_DWORD%, 2

HKR,, MapOSD3ToNV, %REG_DWORD%, 3

HKR,, SoftEDIDs, %REG_DWORD%, 1

HKR,, ModesetBlankDelay, %REG_DWORD%, 1

HKR,, OverlayMode3, %REG_DWORD%, 1

HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\NVIDIA

HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\NVIDIA,DisplayName,%REG_SZ%,"NVIDIA Windows 2000/XP Display Drivers"

HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\NVIDIA,UninstallString,%REG_SZ%,"rundll32.exe %11%\nvinstnt.dll,NvUninstallNT4 nvmt.inf"

HKR,, "Attach.ToDesktop",%REG_DWORD%,1

HKR,, "DefaultSettings.BitsPerPel",%REG_DWORD%,16

HKR,, "DefaultSettings.XResolution",%REG_DWORD%,800

HKR,, "DefaultSettings.YResolution",%REG_DWORD%,600

[nv_SoftwareDeviceSettings_8060_MAP464]

HKR,, InstalledDisplayDrivers, %REG_MULTI_SZ%, nv4_disp

HKR,, VgaCompatible, %REG_DWORD%, 0

HKR,, VPEENABLE, %REG_DWORD%, 0

HKR,, Mobile, %REG_DWORD%, 3

HKR,, UseHWSelectedDevice, %REG_DWORD%, 1

HKR,, RMMaintainDevs, %REG_DWORD%, 1

HKR,, DualViewMobile, %REG_DWORD%, 1

HKR,, PushBufferMemorySpace, %REG_DWORD%, 2

HKR,, DevSwitchSuppressMask, %REG_DWORD%, 1

HKR,, UseBestResolution, %REG_DWORD%, 1

HKR,, "TV Out", %REG_DWORD%, 2

HKR,, MapOSD3ToNV, %REG_DWORD%, 3

HKR,, SoftEDIDs, %REG_DWORD%, 1

HKR,, ModesetBlankDelay, %REG_DWORD%, 1

HKR,, OverlayMode2, %REG_DWORD%, 2

HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\NVIDIA

HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\NVIDIA,DisplayName,%REG_SZ%,"NVIDIA Windows 2000/XP Display Drivers"

HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\NVIDIA,UninstallString,%REG_SZ%,"rundll32.exe %11%\nvinstnt.dll,NvUninstallNT4 nvmt.inf"

HKR,, "Attach.ToDesktop",%REG_DWORD%,1

HKR,, "DefaultSettings.BitsPerPel",%REG_DWORD%,16

HKR,, "DefaultSettings.XResolution",%REG_DWORD%,800

HKR,, "DefaultSettings.YResolution",%REG_DWORD%,600

[Modes1280854_AddReg]

[NoModes1280854_AddReg]

Edited by ®®®

I shortened your complete INF posting to what is important :)

Figure out with NERD (see my signature) what your DEV_ID & SUBSYS_ID is. Then it should make sense for you what the settings are to look for.

New drivers does not use the old style (as seen in this old INF) of RefreshRate settings in the INF. For RefreshRate/Resolution/color depth use the all-in-one line Pieter provides in his mobile INF. It covers all known resoltions.

I shortened your complete INF posting to what is important :)

Figure out with NERD (see my signature) what your DEV_ID & SUBSYS_ID is. Then it should make sense for you what the settings are to look for.

New drivers does not use the old style (as seen in this old INF) of RefreshRate settings in the INF. For RefreshRate/Resolution/color depth use the all-in-one line Pieter provides in his mobile INF. It covers all known resoltions.

Well I ran NERD and I was able to pull off this information..(Already got some of the info updated on my profile. but I'm still trying to figure out what the latest Driver would be even with all this info..(Like I said, I'm a bit of a noob..

but here is the info..

DEV_ID : 0176

SUBSYS_ID : 103013BD

VIDEO BIOS version : 4.17.00.61.00

VIDEO BIOS date : 31/DEC/2002

Laptop Brand : SHARP Corporation

Laptop Model : PC-RD1

NVIDIA GPU : NVIDIA GeForce4 420 Go 32M

VIDEO RAM : 32.0 MB

LCD Resolution : (native)

internal LCD name :

SYSTEM BIOS version : INSYDE - 1\0Insyde Software MobilePRO BIOS Version 4.00.01\0Insyde Software MobilePRO BIOS Version 4.00.01\0\0

SYSTEM BIOS date : 30/JAN/2003

So now that i got that info which driver would be the best to use for DirectX9.0c?

Paul Bender--