LaptopVideo2Go Forums

m1210 and HL2 gets literally 4fps. why?

K3nt

Ok, so i got my new m1210 not long ago, deleted the bloatware and installed HL2. Steam finished updating it and i launched it. I got to the menu and it looked great. Two seconds later, the fan kicks in on high and the framerate drops to 4 fps. What the heck is going on? I have the Geforce Go 7400 card and these are my hl2 settings (regardless of the settings, the problem persists):

12575.jpg

I'm fairly sure that the issue is with the driver. I reinstalled it and i managed to get 11 fps after it decreases from 45. I restarted the game right after and i got the 4fps again. If this is a driver issue, what driver would be the proper one? I am currently using version 84.69 straight from dell.

I guarantee it is a driver issue. My M1210 runs HL2 perfectly with those settings. Try 91.33 with the modded inf, that is what I use.

im fairly sure now, that the problem is overheating. my idle temp is 82 degrees celcius, and the threshold is 106.

Just to make sure it doesnt overheat and stop working, you shouldnt run anything that might make it go that high until you cool it better.

From the details on the first post you are having a serious overheating problem. It seems that the safety frequency the GPU is switched to when it overheats is set by the driver. Hence the different frame rates when your GPU overheats.

One quit trick... try activating the VSync in HL2. It will cap your frame rate to 60, 30, 20, 15,... but also hold some pressure on the GPU.

Your IDLE temperature is insanely high... My Geforce 6800 Go IDLE at 46°C right now and the ambient is pretty high 30°C. (###### summer) So in the long run you might want to solve this issue... either thru Dell support... or by yourself following Dell hardware repair guides.

i tried the vsync thing and it didnt work. also, im sending it back to dell if the replacement ram they're sending doesnt work.