LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Acer Announces Aspire 9800

sn0wl

Aspire 9800 aims to be a multimedia powerhouse, using a Centrino Duo processor, an Nvidia GeForce Go 7600 graphics controller, 240 GB of RAID-ready storage in the form of two 120 GB, 5400 RPM Serial ATA hard drives. (I mean, with a 20-inch screen you've got room in that thing for all sorts of storage!) The 20.1-inch screen uses Acer's CrystalBrite technology to provide sharp imaging, and claims game-worthy 8 ms grey-to-grey response time, and supports HD resolutions up to 1920 by 1080 pixels (yep, 1080p) for viewing high-definition content.

acer9800.jpg

And the Aspire can deliver that high-def content with its built-in HD DVD drive, which supports 13 different optical media formats, plus HDMI and HDCP support for projecting HD movies and game content to high-definition televisions displays. The 9800 also sports its own speakers and subwoofer, plus Dolby Digital Live and DTS Connect for hooking up to home theater systems using S/PDIF. There's also a TV tuner: good luck getting DVB-T signals in North America, but it also supports standard terrestrial signals. Also built in: the Acer OrbiCam, a 1.3 megapixel CMOS camera for still images and video conferencing.

News from: Digital Trends

If you have $2,799 handy?more once you start tacking on options?Acer dealers will be happy to plop one of these in your lap.
At this price a mobile Quadro FX xxxx would be appropiate.

I've seen this laptop in a local shop (yes, i'ts already available here in Belgium) and I have to say this laptop is HUGE.

The screen was like 5cm thick, the weight of this "monster" could easily be around 7to8 kg's. That a laptop you should never take with you... it's just too clumsy, huge and heavy...

On the other side you get a nice (it looks quite good) 20" screen and other stuff... This really is a desktop replacement.

Indeed too bad of the Graphics card, in such laptops a 7800 is required at least...

I need to grease my 17" Dell laptop in my backpack... and use forceps to get it out... now 20" it's a lot. For the price tag I prefer my desktop computer... and I'll turn the rest of the money into quality beer. :)

Chinese proverb: when your laptop shows a numpad your back is about to break.

Just checked and files for this ACER model are available since 2006-06-02 :)

Seems that Europe is earlier in this case than the States.

Time for introducing Region Codes for Laptops so that there market appearance is all the same around the globe, but you are prevented to run it in difference timezones :)

Guest Guest
They give you all that good hardware and then put in a crappy video card. When will these idiots learn? It should have no less than a 512 mb. 7900 GTX Go.

As well it should have a 64bit processor.

This eBay guy doesn't know what he's selling: the specs tell me it's a GF 7300 and the heading says it's a 7600 :) I wonder how people can actually sell + earn money when even the most essential component of a Laptop is described wrong and is misleading (like Toshiba specs when comparing models from the same series :) )