S-Video Out Problems with Inspiron 9300

Guest Ryan

Hello everyone,

First, my system (at least what's relevant):

Dell Inspiron 9300

Intel Pentium M 2GHz

1GB DDR ram

Nvidia GeForce Go 6800

I'm running Windows XP Pro with Service Pack 2 installed and all the latest updates.

Now, I have been using my S-Video out for about 4 or 5 months without a problem. I've been using the S-Video to Composite cable that Dell supplied along with a composite video cable to display the video. After about 4 months, I began to notice that the picture being displayed on the TV was becoming increasingly blurry and the colors increasingly distorted. After about a week of this, the video just completely stopped being displayed on the TV. I tried updating the Geforce Go drivers to the latest version on Dell's website, but had no results. I also tried buying new composite cables and still no picture showed up. I then called Dell and they decided they needed to replace the motherboard (the problem with a crackling coming from my headphones was fixed), but the S-Video problem remains. I've tried using a purely S-Video cable and hooked it up to a HDTV, but the best I could get from that was a brief, blurry, distorted flash of my desktop. I have also tried using the latest drivers from www.laptopvideo2go.com. Yet, there has been no improvement. I tried hooking my laptop up to another monitor and that still works, so I'm not entirely sure what the problem could be.

Does anyone have any ideas on what might be going wrong? Could it be a problem with the video card? The S-Video out port was replaced when they replaced the motherboard, so the port can't be dead. Also, it can't be the cables since I've tried multiple different S-Video cables and multiple composite cables. Any ideas?

Thank you,

Ryan

Have you tried different drivers?

First of all use Dell 84.30 driver... it's a GREAT driver.

Then try to use a SVideo capable TV.

Then you want to run a "rolling test"...

- use shorter cables.

- use a different perfectly working TV.

- use a different source (camcorder or anything that spits a video signal).

And remember there is always a chance of changed parts are being defective as well.