LaptopVideo2Go Forums

which is the better for gaming out of these two sony's?

scoss

well im looking at the sony models and its down to two of them.

the sony vgn fe 21m which has 7600, 128mb with a 160g hd @4200rpm.

or the sony vga fe 21h which has a 7400 256mb with a 100g hd @5200rpm.

they both have the same ram (1g ddr2) and the same cpu (Intel Core Duo processor T2300 (1.66 GHz and 667 MHz FSB).

so which would give me the better performance?

The 7600 one... check the specs of each graphic card in the Recommended driver FAQ. The 7600 has twice everything in comparison to 7400... which means that it will give a lot more frames per seconds.

ok but a lot of folks have said the the 160g hd @ 4200rpm is gonna be really slow. compared to the 100g 5200. is this true?

It's going to be slower... but in most games the HDD is not the slowing factor. For example Counter Strike CS level loading will be a few seconds faster on a 4 RAID0 array.

You can always upgrade your HDD by yourself in the future. That's what I did with my laptop... the old 40Gb HDD ended up in the 2"5 external enclosure. It allows me to carry the ISOs, backup and software install I always need with me.

Usually the HDD is held in a tray locked by 2 screws... the HDD is attached to the tray with 2 or 4 screws.

Do it only if you need the extra speed... which is less than obvious.