LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Which GEForce4 440 Go with 32 or 64MB?

Guest MadManMike

Guest MadManMike

Hiya

Love the site! Cannot believe I have not seen it before?!?!?

My question is in regards to the video card in my machine. I have a Toshiba 5105-s901. Supposedly a limited edition 'puter made for CompUSA. Got it about 4 years ago. Recently had the HDD crash and am currently getting everything back with the new drive. This site was a godsend for the video issues I had with Half-Life 2.

Anyways....

The sticker below the keyboard says 64MB DDR RAM on the video card. When I do a System Info, it says only 32MB. Is this a driver install issue? Will it make a difference in performance if I get the system to see it all? I have installed driver 77.77 using the mod'd INF from here, and with the black bar fix all is wonderful in video land, 1600X1200. Just wonderd if I can get a better game display if I can use the other 32 megs, if indeed, the system is not seeing it.

Anyway, great site, Thanks!

Michael

In the nvidia control panel (driver options menu) it should say 64MB, otherwise you do have a problem, but I can't think why a specific driver would display it wrong unless you just recently flashed the BIOS or broke the card.

You could of course try a different driver, maybe an 84.xx driver.

Does the latest official stock Toshiba driver do this?

The 5105 also suffered from the BlackBar (using C5 VBIOS?). That would be new to me.

Anyways if you restore your baby have a look in the "Nofficial 5x0x Driver and Support thread" for hints:

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=6567

- The 5105 also suffered from the BlackBar (using C5 VBIOS?). That would be new to me.

When I installed the original driver from Toshiba's site, I could run 1600X1200 w/o black bar, but HL@ would not run.

I updated to 77.77, using this site's recommendations and INF file, and the most I could get was 1588X1200, with a black bar on the right. I ran the enhancer for 77.77 and whoosh.....black bar gone, 1600X1200 and HL2 runs fine, so far.

So everything is looking fine, I am just wondering if 'finding' the other 32mb of video ram will enhance things further.

Every place I look in the system tells me that I have 32 megs, but the spec sheet from Toshiba (the PDF on their site) and the sticker still on my machine says 64 meg.

So, whatever. Things look great, so I will not lose much sleep over it.

Thanks again!

Michael

A detail which i can clearly remember (as it was a REAL PITA for decision finding on which Laptop i will buy) is that TOSHiBA back in the time in 2002 had (let's say) 'problems' to offer proper aka VALID specs for the customer to browse/compare.

PDFs did not correspond with the specification details on their webpage. Specificatoins on Toshiba Product webpages were not consistant with the specs shown @ Retailer websites. Retailer webpages just copy and paste from either the wrong PDF or the wrong Toshiba Product description page.

In other words it was a mess.

The only thing you can do to make sure what's under the hood is using a tool like Everest. Or you could use our quick script NERD to figure what's inside your Laptop.