LaptopVideo2Go Forums

i5150 - driver problem with 84.21

Guest Moma

Hi Larry,

could you help again?

Well I have the nvidia 84.21 driver installed. I read in another post about removing the nv4_disp file before installing the driver - unfortunately I did not undertand this so could you tell me how to do it?

The reason being that I keep getting the BSOD saying the 'nv4_disp' is causing the problem.

I was then gonna just put the pmx inf file into that nividia driver folder.

Could you relay the correct steps to me again as I'm a complete noobster at understanding this stuff.

Thanks, your help is always appreciated.

MoMa.

Hi, MoMa...

It sounds like you deleted the wrong file, but it's easily fixed:

Download the driver files again and extract them into a handy folder. Then download this inf and place it in the same folder. In this case, you don't need to delete anything.

Use the "have disk" method to install and you should be all set.

Hi Larry,

I did as suggested, re-installed the driver in the have disk way - unfortunately the same thing happened - BSOD ,'nv4_disp' seeming to be the problem. Apparently i got 'stuck in an infinite loop'. This seems to be happening more and more when I'm playing online or watching an wmv etc.

If you had any ideas I would be greatful,

Thanks,

MoMa

That usually happens when you have files from different driver versions installed at the same time. Use the Windows Control Panel's "Add/Remove Programs" to uninstall "Nvidia Drivers." Reboot, then try again with the same driver and inf.

If it still happens, uninstall in the Control Panel again and try driver 67.66 with this inf. It's one of the all-time best drivers for the 5150, so if it still fails we'll know we need to dig deeper.

Let us know what happens!

Hi Larry,

thanks for that. I installed the older driver and the inf - so far so good! WM is working fine and no BSOD's so far. It great to have people like yourself out there helping us, so again thanks a million!

MoMa

Thanks for getting back to us! I'm glad it's working!

:)