LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Interesting Problem

terror_adagio

Hey guys,

I'm using a Toshiba M60.... not had any problems since now. Its a strange one. For me anyways.... I've noticed now that when I listen to music (mp3s) on my laptop, my desktop will pause for a bit and let me have no control. Then return to normal. And then it will repeat the same process, but not in any real pattern.

I found out that the problem goes away when I plug in headphones. I don't encounter any problems with audio from playing videos or movies or games. It just seems to be music from mp3s.

I've scanned by computer with the latest definitions from Ad-aware and Windows Defender, thinking maybe it was some form of a spyware or malware, and nothing shows up. Scanned my computer with Norton 2005, didn't find any viruses.

Using latest Realtek drivers. Have tried older one's, still there. Not sure what this could be.

Any ideas?

Which player do you use?

Hey guys,

I'm using a Toshiba M60.... not had any problems since now. Its a strange one. For me anyways.... I've noticed now that when I listen to music (mp3s) on my laptop, my desktop will pause for a bit and let me have no control. Then return to normal. And then it will repeat the same process, but not in any real pattern.

I found out that the problem goes away when I plug in headphones. I don't encounter any problems with audio from playing videos or movies or games. It just seems to be music from mp3s.

I've scanned by computer with the latest definitions from Ad-aware and Windows Defender, thinking maybe it was some form of a spyware or malware, and nothing shows up. Scanned my computer with Norton 2005, didn't find any viruses.

Using latest Realtek drivers. Have tried older one's, still there. Not sure what this could be.

Any ideas?

I have been getting exactly the same issue on my Travelmate 5612 (Core Duo + GF Go 7300 + Realtek Audio). Although it seems to happen most frequently when playing video with me. But the sound locking up is a notable indication something is not right. But for what feels like 10 seconds (probably more like 5) the system 'hard locks' completely.

I have tried to track it down to what I thought was the problem, Video Overlay. When I run DxDiag on dual monitors, the DirectDraw test allways fails on the non-primary display. Do you run dual displays too? Can you test it as well please? For all I know, it could be an audio driver problem.

But that said, for 2 weeks the system was behaving without issue, after I managed to get both DirectDraw test to pass after 'fiddling' alot with settings. I thought OverlayMode4 reg key did the trick, but I had a BSOD on Friday evening, and the behaviour went back to same. While the 'overlay' was working, I never noticed a single lockup, making me think it 'must' be the video driver. Although it seems to be present in all the drivers.

The only other thing I am still considering is maybe the Wifi driver, as it happened while streaming video over wifi. Currently testing it over LAN and disabled the Wifi, too soon to know yet, but no lockups in the last 3 hours.

I have been talking to Acer as well, but they also are not sure.

Cheers

If your using WMP10/11, thats your problem.

If your using WMP10/11, thats your problem.

Not very helpful.... But sorry I dont use WMP. So why would that be a problem?

Its very memory intensive (especialy 11).

Try downloading another player (like foobar2000) and see if the problem is recreatable. It could also be caused by a codec pack.