LaptopVideo2Go Forums

NX9420 MXM support ?

silex

Hello poeple !!!!

I'm going to change my old lappy (Aopen 1557J w Radeon9700) with a brand new HP 9420. In Romania it's the single option I could find for gaming regarding the price paied. I've searched the net for different models/producers manuals and I've came around the service manual for the nx9420/nx9440 models on HP's website.

As far as I can understand the manual, the ATI X1600 256mb board (nx9420) and the mobile Quadro 1500m (nx9440) they are the same seizes and layouts. I'm wondering if the Quadro 1500m it's MXMIII format for the high power consumption and 256bit memory bus......... then the ATI board it's not the same layout (MXMIII) ?? :( If this is true I think it's a futureproof model and a very good investition. :P :(

Anybody opened one of this models till now to see what's under the hood ?????

In a couple of days I and you, of course, will find out this. Now I'm waiting for the chosen model to arrive in shop :P :) :P I hope they will not use sealing methods on the screw holes to prevent me from opening it :) :)

Cheers !!!!

Hello poeple !!!!

I'm going to change my old lappy (Aopen 1557J w Radeon9700) with a brand new HP 9420. In Romania it's the single option I could find for gaming regarding the price paied. I've searched the net for different models/producers manuals and I've came around the service manual for the nx9420/nx9440 models on HP's website.

As far as I can understand the manual, the ATI X1600 256mb board (nx9420) and the mobile Quadro 1500m (nx9440) they are the same seizes and layouts. I'm wondering if the Quadro 1500m it's MXMIII format for the high power consumption and 256bit memory bus......... then the ATI board it's not the same layout (MXMIII) ?? :( If this is true I think it's a futureproof model and a very good investition. :P :(

Anybody opened one of this models till now to see what's under the hood ?????

In a couple of days I and you, of course, will find out this. Now I'm waiting for the chosen model to arrive in shop :) :P :thumbsup: I hope they will not use sealing methods on the screw holes to prevent me from opening it :) :)

Cheers !!!!

Hi there,

Check out this page :P

Hello ICE-TEA !!!

I saw those lines late in the evening, but after I added the topic..... anyhow I hope that in max 2 days I'll be in the posession of the new lappy :( :( :P :) and I'll try the MXM programs and HOPE to measure the video board.

I've done more searching about NX9420/NX9440 parts and I've found that both are using the same mainboard (it's costs only 370$ in US :P )...

So: the power consumption of Quadro 1500m is 45w and it could cover the consumption of a GO 7900GTX board. The only thing that upsets me are the different codes and prices for the video heatsinks... 50$ and 58$ so the ATI heatsink maybe could not cover 45w of dissipated heat. :) :)

Hello ICE-TEA !!!

I saw those lines late in the evening, but after I added the topic..... anyhow I hope that in max 2 days I'll be in the posession of the new lappy :( :( :P :) and I'll try the MXM programs and HOPE to measure the video board.

I've done more searching about NX9420/NX9440 parts and I've found that both are using the same mainboard (it's costs only 370$ in US :P )...

So: the power consumption of Quadro 1500m is 45w and it could cover the consumption of a GO 7900GTX board. The only thing that upsets me are the different codes and prices for the video heatsinks... 50$ and 58$ so the ATI heatsink maybe could not cover 45w of dissipated heat. :) :)

Or they're just squizing out a few extra bucks for hot baked air :P

Anyways, if you ever feel like checking out if it's MXM compatible, I can lend you a low end card just to check :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Hello friends !

Tomorrow will be a very hard day for me :) . This evening I've placed an online order for an Inspiron 9400 lappy, beside my previous one, with NX9420. I'm tired of waiting for "x to arrive from coustoms", "last unit is reserved already" or "y to be avaible from the importer" .

Each configuration is better from a point of view .. but only the NX9420 is relevant for this discussions topic, the Inspiron beeing manufactured under a propietary format for the video card. My reasons for the second order are: the geforce 7900go included in the selected config and the 3 year warranty. Of course the main drawback is the price ... 600$ over the HP's price (from 1300$ to 1900$).

I'll buy whichever lappy could be delivered first, because with the 600$ difference I could cover the video upgrade for the HP and the weaker support service..... now I'm just fed up with the c r a p p y management of stocks. Imagine to send 4-5 mails to find nothing, but each one beeing replied. :)

So, in the next 2 days it is possible to list some pictures/measurements of the x1600 card or, to ask Ice-Tea to close this topic .....

Eloo ppl !

Today I received my new lappy ..... and it's the Inpiron 9400 with T7200 cpu. The NX9420 with T5600 I ordered previously didn't pass the coustoms yet so I accepted this one, although is 600$ more. From an Aopen 1557j usage to Inspiron 9400 I have to say...... WOW.

Sorry to all with hopes for upgrading the NX9420 with 7900go that I hadn't more patience for waiting the HP to become avaible !

So, Ice-Tea please feel free to close this topic.