LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Quadro p/n K0386 compatible w/I8200

HockeyPhool

I am trying to determine if a 64MB GeForce Quadro Go (p/n K0386) 1) is compatible with my Inspiron 8200, and 2) will offer significantly better gaming performance than a 64MB GeForce 440 (p/n 0K0053). I'm having a hard time finding definitive resources. I've read general recommendations that the Quadro is the best card for the i8200, but I've also read that it mainly benefits users of 3-D tools rather than gamers.

Can any of you offer some definitive guidance, or pointers to resources I may not have found?

advTHANKSance!

Scott

The person that will be able to help you is surely Bill... one of the forum helder.

I think I determined that the K0386 is the GeForce Quadro 500 GL, not the 700 GL. Since I couldn't find a reasonably-priced source for the 700, I purchased a 64MB GeForce 440 Go instead.

Next on the list: a processor upgrade. :)

Thanks all the same.

Scott

I am trying to determine if a 64MB GeForce Quadro Go (p/n K0386) 1) is compatible with my Inspiron 8200, and 2) will offer significantly better gaming performance than a 64MB GeForce 440 (p/n 0K0053). I'm having a hard time finding definitive resources. I've read general recommendations that the Quadro is the best card for the i8200, but I've also read that it mainly benefits users of 3-D tools rather than gamers.

Can any of you offer some definitive guidance, or pointers to resources I may not have found?

advTHANKSance!

Scott

Good, I saw that card while looking for Quadro4 700 GoGL's on ebay for you.

I know for certain the Quadro4 700 GoGL does not have that part number, and I suspected that must have been the 500 GoGL. Although I didn't have time to search, and there was almost no description and no pictures on the page.

The Quadro4 500 GoGL for the I8200/C840/M50 is basically just a 440 go with quadro functionality. It is not at all faster in gaming (that I know of), and has no benefit except maybe running some CAD programs faster.

Basically the 440 go is a better buy than the 500 GoGL unless the 500 GoGL is much cheaper, but if that is the case you should be suspicious of a broken card. :)

Bill, thanks for the confirmation (and the background searching, too!)

The supplier has already shipped by 64MB 440 Go - looking forward to receiving that in a couple of days and resurrecting my I8200.

Regards,

Scott

Good, I saw that card while looking for Quadro4 700 GoGL's on ebay for you.

I know for certain the Quadro4 700 GoGL does not have that part number, and I suspected that must have been the 500 GoGL. Although I didn't have time to search, and there was almost no description and no pictures on the page.

The Quadro4 500 GoGL for the I8200/C840/M50 is basically just a 440 go with quadro functionality. It is not at all faster in gaming (that I know of), and has no benefit except maybe running some CAD programs faster.

Basically the 440 go is a better buy than the 500 GoGL unless the 500 GoGL is much cheaper, but if that is the case you should be suspicious of a broken card. :)

Here is Dell's graphics card replacement guide.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...dbd.htm#1084976

Here is one from BayWolf's page. Even though it is a different laptop, the guide is the same. (has good pictures)

http://www.bay-wolf.com/geforce4-1.htm

Only real advice I have is don't break the flex cable. (might require decent force, in the upwards direction, to pull out )

Also if you are really lazy you can leave the keyboard plugged in, just lay it upside down over the DVD drive (don't unplug the hard to plug in ribbon cable)

I did not disconnect my keyboard, just flipped it over for a bit.

Thanks for taking the extra time to post these guides. Luckily, I'm already familiar with my 8200's guts. :)

In fact, it's possible that I caused the failure while replacing the fans. I replaced them once before with no trouble, and I was following ESD precautions as best I could. You never know - perhaps I pulled the video card when I wasn't grounded, or pushed a bit too hard to seat the card afterward.

Nevertheless, thanks for your help!

Scott

Here is Dell's graphics card replacement guide.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...dbd.htm#1084976

Here is one from BayWolf's page. Even though it is a different laptop, the guide is the same. (has good pictures)

http://www.bay-wolf.com/geforce4-1.htm