LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Dell M1710 and High Definition Video

Guest Penguin

Guest Penguin

I never expected to have any problems playing hi-def video (25 mbps HDV from a Sony camcorder) on my new 1710 with a 2.33 GHz Core 2 Duo and nVidia GeForce Go 7900 GS, but surprisingly I do! When playing an HDV video in Windows Media Player or in whatever player is used in Media Center, I get a vibrating green line across the top of the screen. I can play these clips fine with Media Player Classic (the best free PC player), which doesn't surprise me since I've seen MPC play clips that WMP cannot as early as my 2.4 GHz Pentium 4 desktop I used two PC's ago. And yes, I updated the video driver, tried WMP 11, etc. And while I could use MPC, I'd still like to get this solved so I can use Media Center with a remote control when connected to a TV.

I think I can solve this problem by installing the nVidia PureVideo MPEG2 decoder, since that solved my problems playing HDV on my last PC (Pentium 3.2 GHz dual-core). However, after installing PureVideo, I cannot get WMP or Media Center to use it. They both appear to keep using the Sonic decoder that came with the PC. Is there any way to change the priority of the MPEG2 decoder chain to make PureVideo the preferred

decoder?

Yes i think you should try to change the merit (priority) of your decoders.

Your best friend is DSFManager which is able to edit the merit.

Here: http://www.softella.com/dsfm/index.en.htm

Guest Penguin

Thank you - great suggestion! I had actually found this program by going to the Microsoft WMP newsgroups, and from there to a WMP FAQ page that also recommended it. The Sonic decoder was set to a higher priority than PureVideo, even though the Microsoft Decoder Check utility said the PureVideo decoder was the preferred one. I used this great utility to set the Sonic decoder to "1", and WMP and Media Center then used PureVideo to play my HDV videos. Of course, they still hiccup on the HDV in spots (how does MPC play everything so well?), but I can live with that for now.

Media Player Classic is not a bloatware... it plays video and audio files PERIOD

You can't use it to grind coffee beans and make expresso...

Do you have by chance the fully bloated version of NERO 6 or 7 installed? These are also known to set merit higher than needed in order to be first priority :shame on them: There's a tool called NeroClean from a german which restores defaults, just like it was before the NERO bloatinstalltion. Also you might want to try NeroLite over at MSFN forums. Great!

The Microsoft Decoder Check utility is also a great tool. sn0wl posted that in our Tools and Utilities section a while ago :)

Which version of Nero 7 do you call Bloatware... the 190+Mb that ships with Yahoo toolbar... or the light version that weights 189Mb on the scale? :)