LaptopVideo2Go Forums

7900 GTX BIOS Flash Failure

Cazares

USB is relly convenient... but ###### require to enable USB boot priority. Something which everybody in his right mind should do.

Yes, I will be making USB my first boot device (once I confirm that my USB stick is in fact bootable and working). The CD I have works great (Barts), but I would like to make use of my 4GB flash drive I just recently bought. I followed the directions someone here linked me, but I can't get a computer that boots to USB ><. My desktop says "USB-FDD" "USB"HDD" and "USB-ZIP", I have tried all 3 options... doesn't boot. This is an older A7N8X mobo, so it doesn't really suprise me (nForce 3), I should check for a BIOS update for it, meh. Probably will just wait for my Lappy to come back to me (I miss it :) ).

I overclocked my desktop 6800 GT just fine. I loaded up Doom3 as a little test for it (400Mhz Core, 1.1Ghz ram, that's a 30Mhz Core OC, and 100Mhz RAM OC (since I have a BFGTech OC card) its not much), and it worked fine, it was great actually. Then I loaded up WoW (Yes, it's an addiction), and the games loading screen had artifacting from hell lol... in fact it locked up also, so I had to re-flash it back to stock speeds, no biggie.

One thing you might hit a wall trying to boot from 4GB USB drive. So you want to keep 2GB max.

Do you mean a physical 2GB Flash Drive, or limit the partition on the 4GB to 2GB? Is this because of DOS limitations, or possibly BIOS incompatibility?

A 2GB partition should work since its a FAT16 limit.

If your bios does not support booting from usb then your only option is chainbooting to boot from usb (using a floppy to boot usb...still trying to work this out)...if you looked at bootable devices (and not bios bootup sequence/order) on startup and didnt see it then it maybe that you need to partition your flash drive...

partition your flash drive...
True. It is written that it may help the SystemBIOS to recognize the bootable device at the USB port.

But in fact even that didn't work at my Toshiba 5205 :) Have a look in my USB Booting thread and especially the links which "Jaclaz" posted. There are some really detailed guides in there.

The HP formatter I mentioned elsewhere in a post can format the USB Flash drive with FAT and FAT32 I've got mine formatted to 4GB

It boots with DOS from Win98.

Yeah, I used the guide you linked on this thread mobilenvidia. If it does work, I am not sure though. Like I said, my desktop that I have lists USB-FDD, USB-CDROM (or USB-HDD, can't remember) and USB-ZIP as bootable devices, so I make all three in order as my 1st 2nd and 3rd boot devices, and no luck, so who knows if that crappy old mobo really supports UBS booting well. I will give it a go on the M1710 once it comes back (From APO to state-side address, then to dell and back, then back to me at APO, ugghh...).

your bios doesnt support usb booting but the m1710 does...have fun

Edited by zzpulp

• 3 weeks later...

As a follow-up to this whole mess:

I recevied a call from Dell, they got my laptop, ran their diagnostics, and replaced the video card. *APPARENTLY* when they replaced the video card, it still would not boot up properly. This is just what some representitive told me. So they said the motherboard must be replaced also. I had also received an email saying that "since the video card is attached to the motherboard, it must be replaced also. And that is an additional $299.00"

I called BS on this one, as the 7900 GTX is an MXM card that is EASILY detached from the motherboard. I explained this to the rep. I was talking to, and he said that apparently when I was overclocking the card, it somehow damaged the motherboard also.

Has anyone ever heard of this? I wouldn't think there would be any way I could damage my mobo by re-flashing the video card, unless I of course didn't use nvflash and used some motherboard flasher, I mean... this makes no sense. But of course, what else was I to do? I paid the $299.00 like a sucker. Or else they would have returned it, causing even more time and a bigger pain in the arse to get it repaired. I just don't know how to go about pulling the BS card on them and getting some money back. I just don't feel there is any way I could have damaged the motherboard.

First of all Dell doesn't use MXM but a proprietary modular solution. Which means you can switch graphic cards easily.

If you overclock your GPU it drains more power from the power source. Which happens to run thru the motherboard... not the sun, not a nuclear plant and not a fuel-cell. When ran out of specs the power source will age quickly and eventually die.

So yes you can damage your motherboard if you overclock your modular video card. If you blew a couple of components (capacitors die first) there is no way a new graphic card will be powered properly.

You blew your laptop by overclocking your GPU... you tried to get the Dell warranty to cover for your mistake... and now you try to blame Dell. :)

In my opinion you should just keep quiet and meditate about your mistakes.

Hmm, I understand the logic behind your reasoning. Sure, if I was overclocking, and all of the sudden, my computer hardlocked, etc. SURE, then it's possible my card was draining too much power and blew out some capacitors.

Problem with your logic: I was flashing the BIOS of the video card of the time of failure. Somehow I highly doubt that I was (at that time) draining an excessive amount of power to cause massive motherboard failure. And NO, I was not trying to get to Dell to cover for my mistakes. I CLEARLY and OPENLY stated it was MY fault for ruining the video card (if that was the issue at hand). The email was worded as "because the video card was damaged, so was the motherboard, because they are connected". Well, so are the processor, RAM, smart card reader, Hard Drive, LCD, Southbridge (all connecting USB ports and IDE controllers), so just by saying that one thing is damaged and is connected to another, doesn't make EVERYTHING broke. It was sounding like they were just trying to replace more components to get me to pay more money. Had they given me a professional diagnosis, instead of an inpersonal e-mail from someone who doesn't know a hot rock from their own a$$, I would have understand, shut up and paid the money. Thanks for your arrogance though :)

Edited by Cazares

Sorry but on your last post it sounded like you were kinda mad at Dell for charging you the dead parts.

Believe me when a PSU blows in a computer there is a chance that you will blow from zero to everything in the computer. The last time a PSU blew on me it brought my data HDD to near death instability. A friend of mine recently blew his AGP port when his el-cheapo PSU died on him. The AGP card was OK... just the AGP port was dead.

If one single item is broke on a laptop motherboard the side effect can range from the loss of a function (dead memory card reader) to the death of the PC. In both cases the OEM will replace the smallest defective "container"... which is often the motherboard.

From the 2 exerpts you posted, it seems that the email you recieved sounded like a standard CTRL+C CTRL+V one.

Thanks for the clarification :) . Yeah, I haven't had a whole lot of experience with notebooks yet, mostly because I wasn't willing to take the $2,000 + plunge, but, I did and now I learned my lesson. There wasn't much of a reason to overlock in the first place, other than to see myself make it work and squeeze a few more marks out. Oh well, looks like I will just have to stick to stock clock speeds :)