LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Upgrading my 6600go

DasFlo

Hey guys,

sorry if this has been answered before, I'm new here. Search doesn't seem to come up with anything, but I might be wrong.

So, I seem to be able to obtain mobile gfx cards through tech lab at my university.

I am however still pretty new to the field of laptop cards in general.

Could anyone please tell me exactly what cards I can upgrade to from a 6600go? Are there differences, ie. are some 6600's mxm2 and others are 3 or stuff like that? How about power, will my laptop still be able to supply enough power after upgrading? What card would be recommended?

Most 6600's come on a Type II format, but some Type II notebooks also accept Type III's.

Theoretically, every notebook should be able to handle power if the power brick is big enough. Besides that, there's the thermal question and as a side question whether the new graphics card will correctly trigger the fan system.

And if you're able to get MXM cards, I'd sure as hell like to hear more about it :)

I might be able to get 2 or 3 more over a certain span of time... but unfortunately I guess they won't let me set up a shop. Guess I'd be rich in a matter of no time even with slightly raised prices^^

So, how can I find out just what type of card I'll be able to use?

The manufacturer of my laptop (Nexoc) doesn't seem to be all that competent when it comes to those somewhat finer things. Possibly they just won't answer because they'd rather sell a new laptop.

Well, how would I know?

The book is by a rather new manufacturer (at least in germany), Nexoc.

I heard the case itself was manufactured by uniwill.

It's the one that has an Intel GMA900 as well as a Geforce, you can switch depending on wether you need the staying power or the performance.

http://www.nexoc-notebook.de/Nex_osirisES606_db.htm Sorry, link's in german, Specs are "tech english" though.

So, say a 7600gt or something... yay or nay?

Edited by ®®®

Probably a 259, accepts Type II anyways. A 7600 should work. I'm still curious to see if you can actually get them. Are you even sure they are MXM cards? I've never heard of a Go 7600gt MXM.

Hey, I pulled that 7600go thing out of my ...back... really, more as an example of what general range of cards I'm talking about. I'm basically asking what would be the most powerfull card that I could still REALISTICALLY (heat and power considered) fit into my book.

Thanks for all your help so far, I'll be sure to let you know if I happen to be able to get a spare mxm.

edit: as to geting them at all:

Yes, I can. It's mainly a matter of telling them what I want. See, they do laptop repairs all the time there, I'll just grab the card and install it myself - they are somewhat shy to do it as it would void my warranty and they don't want to be responsible for that...

Edited by ®®®

I see.. Well, the 7600 is the same thermal class as the 6600, so there should not be a problem. However, your fan system will probably not react to the new card as it did before. This may or may not cause problems.

A hardware reset seems to work sometimes (removed battery, power cord,push the power button 20+ seconds or so, plug everything back in, gi in Bios, put 'restore defaults', boot).

NHC has an ACPI script for Uniwill notebooks that, with a fe mods, should allow to control fans.

Even putting NHC to 'max performance'may be enough.

Above all: check your temps, use Rivatuner for that.

• 3 weeks later...

Could you post a NERD log, it might hold info about if it's UNIWILL or not.