LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Touchpad won't scroll this one app

EricDB

I'm using the 8.3.4 version (also tried 8.3.5) of the Synaptics driver on Windows XP Media Center Edition on my Dell XPS M1210 laptop. There is one application (WingIDE) that refuses to scroll with the touchpad--everything else scrolls great. The makers of the program sent me this to try:

Can you try this:

* find a syntpenh.ini file, probably in "c:\program files\synaptics\syntp"

* insert the following lines:

[WingIDE]WT = "*Wing IDE*"

SF = 0x10000000

SF |= 0x00004000

Unfortunately, I don't have a syntpenh.ini file to add that to. I tried creating a new one with just that info inside it, but it did nothing. On a hunch, I located and installed an older version of the Synaptics drivers, version 7.5.7. That version did have a syntpenh.ini file, and adding the above information did enable virtual scrolling in WingIDE.

However, scrolling was erratic, and not just in Wing. About 1/4 of the time when scrolling upward, my cursor would move up and the page would scroll. This was so distracting that I was forced to revert to the up-to-date drivers.

At this point, I think that I could solve the problem if only I knew how to get the above information into the Synaptics driver, given that the INI file is no longer used. Registry, maybe? Or did they just get rid of the ability to specify that stuff entirely? I'm at a loss...I've scoured Google for two days and can't find anything new, especially anything about the INI file going away in the later versions.

Help?

Try playing settings at Synaptics Control panel. In Virtual Scrolling settings you should see Long Distance Scrolling. Toggle Coasting and Edgemotion settings there and test to see if changing them solves your problem. Also 7.5.7 is very old, try 7.12.7 or something near.

Edit: Here is 7.12.7

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to bump this, but I'm having problems again. The 7.x.x versions of the Synaptics driver just aren't stable on my laptop. They do allow me to scroll in WingIDE using the INI file workaround, but the scrolling isn't smooth, and sometimes it fails completely. The 8.x.x verson is smooth and stable, but there's no way to make it scroll WingIDE that I can tell.

The Wingware guys say I need to check with Synaptics. Synaptics only talks to hardware and software vendors. I checked with Dell, but as you can imagine, this is way too technical for technical support to help with. The Wing guys are quite responsive and helpful, so if I could nail this down I'm sure they'd be willing to patch their product...but I just don't know where to go from here...I'm out of places to investigate. Frustrating.

I wouldn't even need help from Wing if I could find an equivalent in the 8.x.x drivers to the INI workaround in the 7.x.x drivers. I can't believe they just got rid of it...but it looks like they did, huh?

Edited by EricDB