LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Can i Change my 7800GTX GO 256 to 8800?

Turbo-Xan

not compatible with current formfactors?

Whoops, there goes MXM. Unless it`s a cripples version. Major bummer.

I guess ze`ll see.

Can i Change my 7800GTX GO 256 to 8800?

My MotherBoard voltage accept this?

What he said :)

Kinda hard to comment on compatibility of something that doesn't exist yet :)

I also doubt the laptop version will be anywhere near the power of the desktop... we'll see how the thermal specs and performance pan out in the future I guess.

to my limited knowledge, no. even the 7800gtx is not upgradable to 7900gtx on my m170 despite the similarities between the m170 and m1710. Just by looking at this example alone, we can conclude that 8800gtx will most likely not be compatible with your existing mobo.

but in rare cases, if the video card is the same size and indeed fits your in your laptop you may

possible solutions

1. change the bios (adjust the voltage)

2. modify your mobo (i dont think this is possible unless you are a computer engineer)

anyways, this is just my thought. I could be dead wrong. But if i had to bet my money on it, I would say most likely not.

I believe the reason you cannot put a 7900go gtx in an m170 is because of bios support...I haven't looked into this but I'm pretty sure that's the main limitation...Its hard enough to get it to fit but even after removing the power button to accomodate the card, it is not supported...

Also, I don't think next gen cards will run with current gen laptops

Edited by zzpulp