LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Which laptop to choose?

TjizZzuH

Hello,

Because my recent laptop (Medion MD6100 [2.6 GHz, 512 Mb RAM, 40 Gb HD, GF4 488 Go]) is beginning to be a little slow, I've decided to buy a new one.

Since I'm a student and I dont have to spend a lot of money, my budget is about 900 euro's.

After some researce, I found 2 laptops which may be my next one:

1. HP Pavilion DV6132
  2. ASUS A6KM-Q082H

The main difference between the two are the:

• Graphics card: GF Go 6150 with 128 Mb shared memory (HP) vs. GF Go 7300 with 256 Mb memory (ASUS)
  • Processor: AMD Turion 64 X2 processor TL-50 Dual Core 1.6 GHz (HP) vs. Mobile AMD Turion 64 1.8 GHz (ASUS)

Because I don't know much about graphics cards & processors, I don't know which laptop is better one.

Thanks in advance for the reactions.

//EDIT//

I probably will use my laptop mostly for school (Office, simulations, etc), playing DVD's & playing games (GTA San Andreas, NFS Underground/Most Wanted/Carbon etc)

Greetz,

Tjisse

Edited by TjizZzuH

First off, HP isn't known for its reliability... The quality isn't really there.

But the main thing is the video card. The 6150 is slooooooow compared to anything else out there (except maybe the 6100). The 7300 isn't a bad card by any means, but the performance isn't going to blow you away or anything.

of the two, I'd say go for the ASUS.

I've had my HP Notebook for 2 years. It fried 2 5700 video cards in a year and a month. for the last year and a month i've had a 5600 and its worked like a charm. the rest of the laptop is solid except for the dvd drive which is on the slower side. It burns and plays well, so its ok.

With your needs and budget... I would go for the Dell Inspiron 6400.

The popular series of Dell ease the quest for spare parts when needed.

Dell = Cheap build parts (not slowed down) but huge support base in forums and actual Dell support website.

Asus = Great build quality, not always the cheapest or the fastest but dependable, very good in driver updates

HP/Toshiba/Acer etc etc = mass produced often slowed down build parts to reduce warrenty returns, quite often very expensive for what you get but often in big retail chains with interest free deals.

But, in terms of performance gains from his 440 Go GPU, would the 6150 be noticable in improvements?

I'm also looking to upgrade from my 420 Go 32MB notebook but I don't really play much games on my notebook. I'm also debating between 6150 and 7300. And budget is a major concern. Many thanks.

regards,

Carpediem

The 6100/6150 are stupidly slow cards... I really wish nVida would set them apart in the naming scheme somehow to show that they're graphics chips meant only to keep costs down and aren't tailored to gaming of any sort. At all. I've had a friend joke that Solitaire lags on his computer.

So I'd say go for the 7300 if you plan on playing anything (and if you can afford it).

Edited by smax

The 61x0 are good for only one thing... allowing you to build an inexpensive Home Theater PC.

Lot's of thanks for the reactions... :)

Yesterday, I have been "computerstore-hopping" to gather some more information....and I came back with 2 new alternatives (or better: substitutes) for the 2 notebooks I mentioned aboved:

Both laptops are ?950 and of ASUS:

* ASUS Z92J-Q012H (Intel Dual Core T2050 1.66 GHz, 1 GB DDR2 RAM, ATi Radeon X1600 128 MB dedicated/512 MB Hypermemory)

* ASUS ASUS A6T-AP006HZ (AMD Turion 64 Mobile MT32 1.66 GHz, 1 GB DDR2 RAM, NVidia GeForce Go 7600 TurboCache 128 MB dedicated)

The salesman @ the computerstore said they would perform about similar.

I would lean for a mix of the two... Intel CPU + nVidia GPU. :)

Me too. Plus INTEL chipset.

But, in terms of performance gains from his 440 Go GPU, would the 6150 be noticable in improvements?

I'm also looking to upgrade from my 420 Go 32MB notebook but I don't really play much games on my notebook. I'm also debating between 6150 and 7300. And budget is a major concern. Many thanks.

regards,

Carpediem

There will be a considerable difference.

BUT the go61x0 are integrated NV graphics.

Anything 7x00 series will be faster again and more future proof.

I think the go8800 GTX will not be too far away, then a whole new kettle of fish will be opened