LaptopVideo2Go Forums

quick advice

Guest Rich

Hi all, new user here... (tried to register, but i didnt know some of the details so it wouldnt let me lol)

I just bought an Alienware laptop (see spec)

Spec:

Core 2 Duo T7600 cpu

2x 1GB DDR2 PC5300 ram (dual channel)

Nvidia Geforce GO 7600 Hybrid m5550 (256mb)

As you can see, the spec is pretty good... then why can my old PC i built myself 2 years ago out perform it on next gen games like HL2, Doom3, COD2 etc... the old pc spec was an amd 64 3500, 1 gig of ram in dual channel, and an ati x800 pro running on the latest catalyst drivers. The power saving options in the BIOS are both set to disabled aswell btw, so i SHOULD be getting the most out of the laptop..

Im assuming the new laptop isnt performing as well as it should due to bad drivers (m5550_VGA_NVIDIA_8.4.7.1) and was wondering if anyone could reccommend the best drivers so i can actualy be happy about spending so much money on this machine, after reading the FAQ, am i right in thinking i should get 80's drivers?

Any advice is good advice, so thanks in advnace.

Performance wise your current driver is probably the best you can get.

Performance wise your current driver is probably the best you can get.

Guna have to disagree there, i downloaded and installed driver 87.25 from here, and got more than 100% performence increase! CS:S Stress Test showed avg fps of 42.3 with my original drivers, then it showed 88.8 fps with the new drivers (over clocked) i think all i need to do now is flash my bios etc and i should get 100 fps (all at max graphics btw)

Cheers anyway, will be book marking this site for sure, you guys def know what your doing and im very thankfull for everything on here, your quick start guide is spot on aswell!

By default x800 pro and go7600 are quite even - with newest software go7600 probably wins by some margin because of newer architecture.

Guna have to disagree there, i downloaded and installed driver 87.25 from here, and got more than 100% performence increase! CS:S Stress Test showed avg fps of 42.3 with my original drivers, then it showed 88.8 fps with the new drivers (over clocked)

When you double your performance... it's called an issue.

It's likely that the first driver you tried had a serious issue... being Powermizer stuck to Max power saving... or 3D mode not kicking in or whatever. The last major performance boost outside the issue fixing was when nVidia optimized the Z culling back in the early GeForce days.