LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Dell M65 Close Lid, Backlight Issue

cazzeh

before i detail my problem id like to say a big thanks to the guys running and maintaining this site as the drivers and modded infs have been of great help many times.

I just installed the latest 97.02 drivers and this solved a problem i had where the display flickered on/off coming out of standby - my theory was that it was switching resolutions (or freq) as it was exact same symptoms, but could not find any options to explain it.

now that issue has been resolved it has been replaced by another one:

The laptop will standby fine when i close the lid and resume fine too but if i disable standby when lid is closed then the screen remains on even with lid shut!? i tested this function with the old dell supplied drivers and it would turn the screen off as it should.

can anyone explain this and better yet give a solution?

Edited by cazzeh

I think Pieter's custom infs still contain the lines that control this. Look for the following:

HKR,, LidBehavior, %REG_DWORD%, 0x11

Instead of 0x11, use the same value as is in the inf that works.

Also, check for the presence of the following line in the [nv_ControlPanelSettings] section:

HKLM,"System\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\LidCloseSetPower"

Note that with most Dell laptops, even these methods won't work if you use an external mouse and something bumps it. Any mouse movement will wake up the screen. Because of this, it's a good idea to go into your power settings and tell the screen to shut down after a few minutes of inactivity, even when running on A/C.

thanks that info helped a lot

I have not found a solution yet but the following has been observed for setting No Action when lid closes:

Dell Drivers - v84.69

LidBehavior 0x11 - Screen blanks out but causes resolution change resulting in all the desktop icons being moved into top left of desktop

LidBehavior 0x10 - Screen blanks out and fixes the above issue

LTG Driver v93.71

LidBehavior 0x11 - Screen never switches off

LidBehavior 0x10 - Screen blanks out but does not switch back on when lid is opened (only way to get screen back is to standby laptop then resume it)

LidBehavior 5 - Screen never switches off

I have decided to leave the issue for now as i can survive with the Standby option or as mentioned above, change power settings to switch off the screen.

Edited by cazzeh

Okay - Thanks for doing the detective work on the LidBehavior settings!

• 1 year later...

The last version that I was aware of that worked 100% on it's own were the 94.22 drivers released by Dell. You can get them here. It resolves the issue completely. I have to go back to tweaking the latest drivers and seeing if I can get it working again. The LidBehavior key kinda disappeared in the more recent ones.

The last version that I was aware of that worked 100% on it's own were the 94.22 drivers released by Dell. You can get them here. It resolves the issue completely. I have to go back to tweaking the latest drivers and seeing if I can get it working again. The LidBehavior key kinda disappeared in the more recent ones.

Please check this post --> http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=16850

I have used the latest drivers and found out which keys were required to get this to work. It may resolve your issue. Please let me know if it does.