LaptopVideo2Go Forums

FX 5200 Dell Inspiron 5160 Video Playback Problems.

thadeus_d3

Hi All,

I've been attempting to fix this issue for months and luckily stumbled upon this forum. I have a GeForce Go FX 5200 on a Dell Inspiron 5160 notebook. I have Pentium 4 3.2 GHZ with 1 GB of RAM. I have been experiencing video playback problems regardless of the application. When playing a video, playback becomes very choppy after about 10 minutes and usually freezes up until I restart the video. I have removed all codecs, tried every video application imaginable, updated my bios, and upgraded the forceware drivers numerous times. Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

The prime suspect is heat. Get a can of compressed air and blow the dust out the cooling fins inside the vent next to your A/C jack.

If that doesn't help, try the inf I've customize for 5150/5160 owners, which you can find here.

Hopefully, one of those will help.

The prime suspect is heat. Get a can of compressed air and blow the dust out the cooling fins inside the vent next to your A/C jack.

If that doesn't help, try the inf I've customize for 5150/5160 owners, which you can find here.

Hopefully, one of those will help.

Thanks for your help. I updated the drivers to 97.44 and used the customized inf that you have provided and noticed an improvement. I also used the canned air to remove dust in the fan, but I do that regularly so it wasn't very dirty. So far, I've only watched about 20 mins of content, but it played skip-free. I plan on watching a movie tonight, so I will be sure to post a message if there are any hiccups. Thanks again!

Edited by thadeus_d3

Thanks for your help. I updated the drivers to 97.44 and used the customized inf that you have provided and noticed an improvement. I also used the canned air to remove dust in the fan, but I do that regularly so it wasn't very dirty. So far, I've only watched about 20 mins of content, but it played skip-free. I plan on watching a movie tonight, so I will be sure to post a message if there are any hiccups. Thanks again!

Ok, I watched 50 mins of a movie and it did not hiccup once. Thanks so much LSudlow, you are doing an amazing job here! I have been plagued by this problem for over 4 months and was ready to format my computer. Thanks for saving me the headache.

I'm glad it worked! Thanks for letting us know!