LaptopVideo2Go Forums

3DMARK06 Score: 1800 to 3300 without OCing

Ashenwraith

I thought I would explain the way I did this in case it might be helpful to anyone.

First my system (copy and pasted from my order because I'm lazy):

|

AURORA

1 |

BLUE AMD A1 17" UXGA+ W/CAM

1 |

ATHLON 64 X2 4800+ 2x1MB CACHE 939-PIN DC

2 |

PDP SIGNATURE DDR 1GB PC3200 SODIMM

1 |

AREA-51M 7700 D900T NVIDIA G70 7800 GTX WITH 256MB MODULE

2 |

SEAGATE 100GB 7200RPM SATA

1 |

MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP PRO COA

1 |

RAID 0 STRIPING 2 DRIVES

=============================

The 1800 score was from using the base 8.4.2.6 drivers from Alienware.

Using the 83.40 drivers from nvidia's site actually gave me a lower score.

To get the 3300 score:

First install the 8.4.2.6 drivers from alienware.

Next, download the proper INF from laptopvideo2go (do not use the enhancer - I tried using this to increase the performance and I got artifacts and slightly better performance on the snow part of the demo, but overall performance actually decreased and my score was lower).

Then go into the device manager, update your display driver, and browse/have disk to the laptop2go inf file.

After it loads the inf, it will ask for other dlls/sys/misc files - go back to the 8.4.2.6 folder and select the file(s) there.

It will try to load files that do no exist in this folder - keep hitting cancel and continuing the installation without these files.

Eventually when it gets to the end it will crash with a BSOD.

Restart and run any game/demo and notice the dramatic improvement in smoothness and no weird artifacts.

Even though it seems hackish/sloppy there have been no sudden crashes or any weird artifacts that occur - only increased performance (about a year so far).

Let me know if you tried this and it worked for you or if you have a better solution...

Edited by Ashenwraith