LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Wierdest setup ever?

mew905

I was just wondering what people have done to keep a functional laptop/computer or make theirs work better. This includes things from case mods to simply sticking a fan to the back, even interior mods you cant see are accepted, as long as the manufacturer didnt do it and you cant buy mass produced parts of it (say mass-produced drilled heatinks, if there are any).

Here's mine, its nothing really special, but it works. The laptop sits atop a high school Physics textbook, with an air-hockey fan blowing directly into the heatsink. Before I got a proper amp I cut a pair of headpones and wired up a pair of 8-ohm 40-watt sony speakers to it (stereo sound)

As a cause of this setup, I get slightly punchier bass at the price of good quality trebles. Old idle temperature before the monster fan was 62 degrees C, and after sits at 27, load sits at 42. Never knew a fan would cause this much temp drop. Other fans I've tried was an old Intel Celeron 400MHz heatsink fan (like.... 2.5 inches?), and a 60 or 80mm power supply fan, both rigged up to a 12vDC 500ma power converter (I think it was originally for a phone)

Edited by mew905

• 2 weeks later...

Um.. no, it's pretty interesting actually. I guess the fan might be noisy, but not with those speakers!

lol yeah, but I'm so used to being around noise, when I switch it off as well as the laptop fan, it feels so... calming... And the speakers (they are going through an amp now) produced so much distortion, that it wasnt really worth it. The fan is really a necessity though until I get the new heatsink and thermal gel, idling at 60 degrees C at half speed kinda sucks.

My Toshiba CPU idles at around 53 degrees C and the motherboard at 49 on power saver mode. But yes, idling at 60 degrees at half speed would probably be worrying. Is your fan on all the time?

I set it so its on slow between 35 and 50 degrees, below 35 is off and above 50 its on high. with the air hockey fan on, the fan usually doesnt have to be on when I'm on the desktop, and sits around 41 when playing games. on the desktop, I usually hold it on until the temps are about 27-29, then switch the fan off. I can usually get about 10 or 15 mins before it hits 50 degrees and have to turn it back on. I dont think its a good idea to do that though (thermal expansion).

Hmm.. so how come your Dell is running so hot anyway? Is the old fan stuffed? You mentioned you were going to get a new heatsink..

I had to open up mine a while ago (twice!) and I was amazed how much dust had collected in 3 years. I'm not sure that it's running that much cooler now, but cleaning it made me feel better!