LaptopVideo2Go Forums

System RAM's impact on performance

Reese

I'm trying to buy a laptop that I may do some gaming on. Does anyone have any idea how much 2GB of system RAM would effect gfx compared to 1GB? A good enough increase to warrant +$270? Or would it not have much to do with gfx at all? I'm not that computer literate.

This is a 15in laptop with a Nvidia 7600 Go. Thank you for any input.

Edited by Reese

Depends. If your system is going to use more than 1GB of DDR, then the difference will be massive because of swapping.

If not, the differnce will be zero.

For modest gaming needs, 1GB is OK. For serious gaming, 2GB is recomendable. If you ever plan to go to Vista, then 2GB is a good plan as well.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Guest

I thought to drop in a few notes here.

Usually it is generally a good idea to get 1GB and see how you like it then upgrade to 2GB later. A 2GB upgrade can be had for under $90 if you look hard enough. I got mine for $83 and it is working great. Easy to install since all of my slots were on the bottom and easily accessible but I know that can vary depending on the model with some having either one or both of the slots under the keyboard.