LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Mini-ITX w/ MXM?

Aris

Anyone know of any Mini-ITX motherboards with MXM slots?

Yep, but only for Pentium M, not Core (2) Duo.

I hope to have them for sale in a few weeks.

Yep, but only for Pentium M, not Core (2) Duo.

I hope to have them for sale in a few weeks.

what would you do about a cooling solution on the MXM graphics cards, since they dont come with one themselves. would you just have to make your own heatsink, or use somthing like an arctic silver adhesive thermal paist to "glue" a heatsink on?

i wonder if current aftermarket vga coolers would be able to mount on MXM cards with their heatsink mounting hole placement.

Do you have a link of the board?

You know i always hear notebook OEM's and ODM's complain about MXM taking up too much space, but for MotD systems and HTPC systems, having a lower power smaller form factor vga card compared to current vga pci-e 16x cards would be great for making smaller, more powerfull quiet systems.

Edited by Aris

That's exactly the reason why I plan to offer them :)

Can't link you to it right now, and yes I think 'regular' fans would be quite easy to addapt. I'm also looking into 100% conduction cooled cases.

So, I take it you would be interested? Price is high, though, and I assume it would be too high for most. Would you mind PM'ing me what you would be willing to pay if you'd ever consider a purchase?

That's exactly the reason why I plan to offer them :)

Can't link you to it right now, and yes I think 'regular' fans would be quite easy to addapt. I'm also looking into 100% conduction cooled cases.

So, I take it you would be interested? Price is high, though, and I assume it would be too high for most. Would you mind PM'ing me what you would be willing to pay if you'd ever consider a purchase?

well mini-itx boards are always more expensive than typical atx boards, so thats almost a given. as far as use in a conduction case, it would really depend on the case. i really like mcubed's upcomming HFX micro which they said would incorperate heatpipes for both the cpu and vga card for passive cooling. i wonder how well that would work though, i mean unless the motherboard your looking at is putting the graphics card in a similar position compared to where it would typically be on a normal mini-itx board which is either wraped up parralel above the motherboard, or turned parralell away from the motherboard. id think you'd have to have some sort of custom heatpipe cooler created to be packaged with a passive heatsink style mini itx case for it to work.

id expect to pay probably in the neighborhood of $250 for the motherboard. If it was a newer mobile C2D board id pay upwards of around $300 for just the motherboard. I would hope it could support Type 3 MXM cards

for the enclosure, it would depend on alot of variables. how it looks, what its physical size is, can it passivly cool both a cpu and vga card, what devices can it support (optical, HD, etc). If it was a nice quality high end enclosure that met all my wants and needs, id probably pay around $150 or so for just the case. But like i said it really depends on how closely it matched what im looking for. If it was somthing really extrodinary like i consider the upcomming mcubed HFX micro, id probably pay $200 or more for it.

If a custom heatpipe heatsink had to be developed to fit an MXM graphics card so that it could be passivly cooled with the enclosure heatsinks, id probably pay an extra $50 or so for that aspect of the case.

---------------------------------------

The only real cavet i can really think of is how would you support future video cards with some sort of custom heatpipe cooler for the vga card. the whole point of making somthing like this is so i would have the ability to upgrade my graphics card. all the systems i build now a days are centered around video upgradability. I use low power mobile cpu's in all my desktop machines, pack em with as much memory as i can, use quiet 2.5" or SDD drives with slimline optical drives to keep power consumption and noise levels as low as possible, and then just tack on the best video card my enclosure can support (physically, thermally, and power usage wise). I dont ever really consider upgrading anything in my systems anymore except the graphics boards.

Thanks for your comprehensive feedback :)

I'm not sure if I'd be able to meet all your requirements though. Only PM, only PCI-e x4 to the MXM, only Type II,...

I'll just do my planned tests and see where it goes from there :)